[Peace-discuss] Good Job Ricky *Letter to the Editor* News-Gazette

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at comcast.net
Thu Apr 24 13:57:38 CDT 2008

Time to challenge Urbana Democrats

Thursday April 24, 2008

We should thank the local Democratic Party leadership for reminding
voters of the difference between "Democrat" with a big "D" and
"democrat" with a small "d." Appearing suddenly for the first time
since citizens started participating in the annual township meetings a
couple of years ago, officials closed off the legally proscribed
citizen input before it could begin. We can't have the people
interfering in their government, one explained.

So regardless of what The News-Gazette says in its editorial, these
"advisory" referenda make a big difference to someone, in particular
those in positions of authority who depend on public opinion.

And what was the issue, you may ask, that brought the Democrats out of
the woodwork? Not the war, or any of the national topics citizens have
placed on their ballot lately, it is apparently local issues on which
these "Democrats with a capital 'D'" do not want voters in their
sandbox.

"IRV," for example, or "preferential voting" threatens the
"lesser-of-two-evils" trap that keeps so many "Democrats" in office.
What, after all, would happen to the party if we took away its favorite
argument: "You have to vote for us, because just look at the
Republicans"? I say we try it and see.

RICKY BALDWIN

Urbana
  Find this article at: