[Peace-discuss] Reasoning

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Mon Apr 28 12:02:14 CDT 2008

Hi Susan.

The problem with Friedman and company is not so much their reasoning as
their disinterest in easily observable evidence, i.e., they treat economics
as a branch of mathematics rather than as a natural (experimental) science.

The notion that a free economy is fundamentally democratic, and that it
encourages democracy, is taken as an axiom rather than a proposition that
needs to be established. A free economy is one dollar, one vote. Democracy
is one person, one vote. Democracy tends to promote equity, a free economy
inequity. The two are in some ways opposites, and either in excess is not
satisfactory.

It is hard to see the Friedman approach as anything other than social
Darwinism, which in its most extreme form has proposed that charity is a
vice, because it interferes with the law of God (!) that certain people are
unfit and should die so that the humanity can be improved.....

I think that we are dealing, in Friedman, not with "reason" but with
religion. He makes the free market God.

Bob