[Peace-discuss] Fwd: [Anna in Palestine] A Fallen Comrade, Riad Hamad: 1952 – 2008

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 29 05:05:15 CDT 2008

A message from our friend Anna Baltzer.

travelinganna <anna.baltzer at gmail.com> wrote:  To: annas_peacework_palestine at yahoogroups.com
From: "travelinganna" <anna.baltzer at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 00:37:40 -0000
Subject: [Anna in Palestine] A Fallen Comrade, Riad Hamad: 1952 – 2008

Ten days ago, my friend Riad, founder and director of the Palestine
Children's Welfare Fund and a middle school teacher, was found dead in
Lady Bird Lake in Austin, TX. Riad had been under investigation by the
FBI for sending food, medicine, and other basic amenities to needy
Palestinian families. It seems the FBI suspected him of terrorism, but
I knew him to be a gentle and selfless man who did all he could to
facilitate the survival of Palestinian children with pride and
dignity. He explained to me when we first met that PCWF is a
for-profit organization, providing families with living wages at fair
prices rather than forcing them to work for little. Riad was
interested in human dignity more than aid, and hundreds of families
depended on his crucial work.

The last time we met was in Austin, where he hosted my father and me
for a luxurious dinner. It struck me, since I knew how frugal he was
with himself — sleeping in a car rather than paying for a hotel that
would detract from the money he could send to Palestinians — but he
was always generous with others. He sent me away with a full belly and
1000 bumper stickers that he'd bought himself to support my work. Soon
thereafter he sent me dozens of purses embroidered by Palestinian
refugees. Each purse bore the name of a destroyed village. These
weren't your typical "Free Palestine" messages; Riad was encouraging
the embroiderers to celebrate their history and connection to their
villages — a kind of nonviolent resistance to Israel's policies of
ongoing ethnic cleansing and denial of the inalienable Right of Return.

Riad struggled tirelessly for justice in Palestine, south of his
native country of Lebanon. Towards the end of his life, the FBI had
posted surveillance signs on his front lawn and harassed the family
constantly, including Riad's children and partner. Riad's legal fees
eventually became more than he could afford, and in our last
correspondence Riad acknowledged (after some nudging) that he could no
longer support himself, yet he was still committed to the cause. He