[Peace-discuss] Mort regarding Obama

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 29 11:13:05 CDT 2008

It's Marxist analysis, filtered through Chomsky, Mort. I'll give Carl the
benefit of the doubt, and assume that he doesn't know this. The relevant
Marxist analysis is simple- liberals say the right things but do not do
them, and therefore delay the Revolution perhaps indefinitely by confusing
the people.

The Revolution is utopian fiction, of course, and is just as disconnected
from reality as is Friedman's claim of a necessary ink between the free
market and democracy. The truth is somewhat less savory- there is no simple
and permanent solution to the evils visited on us by unrestrained greed. We
will be in damage control mode indefinitely, I fear.

My issue with the extremes of the left and right, as represented by Marx
and Friedman, is that they believe that their ideas are so important that
they transcend the value of the individual person, i.e., that the ends
justify the means. I don't really think that such approaches can work, and
that we are stuck with liberalism, inadequate though it may be.

Bob