[Peace-discuss] Not that Obama's any better

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Apr 29 11:50:35 CDT 2008

Of course the vagaries of "liberal" since its coinage as a political term in the
Enlightenment are not random.  It's been modified to express political opinions
and perhaps as often to obscure them.  So a study of the changes can I think be
instructive.  (Raymond Williams' article in his study Keywords (1983) is a good
place to start.)

And we obviously use "better" in different if related ways.  It certainly makes
sense to describe some political policies as better or worse -- e.g., it would
be better, had the US not invaded Iraq -- and not just a matter of taste, like
preferring chocolate to vanilla.

I meant that Obama's recorded comments on Iran and Israel -- consistent from the
time of his campaign for the Senate -- show little if any difference from
Clinton's unguarded (and therefore probably quite honest) threat to obliterate
Iran.  --CGE