[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Brian Chesley case

Shirley Stillinger shirley.stillinger at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 09:25:37 CDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Julia Rietz <jrietz1 at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 8:13 PM
Subject: Brian Chesley case
To: shirley.stillinger at gmail.com

Shirley,
A friend forwarded me the e-mail you sent to the Peace-discuss mailing list
about the Brian Chesley case.  From your e-mail it appears that you believe
that diversion was not offered as an alternative.  I wanted to make sure you
were aware that my office did offer Mr. Chesley the opportunity to
participate in adult diversion rather than being charged, however his
attorney advised him not to accept that offer.  We do not offer adult
diversion as an alternative unless the case is chargeable and proveable.  If
the individual turns down adult diversion or does not complete the program,
then we file the charge.   We do not divert cases we cannot prove.  If we
can't prove the case, as you suggested, we do nothing.  It would not be
appropriate to divert cases that we could not prove at trial; diversion is
supposed to be an alternative to court action that could otherwise be taken.
 I appreciate your understanding that Mr. Chesley had responsibility in this
situation.
Sincerely,
Julia Rietz

--