[Peace-discuss] Chesley crime?

Brian Dolinar briandolinar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 12:35:36 CDT 2008

This has been Finney's MO since he came to town
and probably before when he was in Carbondale.
Remember the over-reaction to Patrick and Martel?
Remember the reaction to me simply showing up at a press conference?
The Champaign police in the Chesley trial
admitted to being instructed to stop anyone on the street
these instructions come from above.

BD

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Bob Illyes <illyes at uiuc.edu> wrote:

> It is easy, Shirley, to think that the Brian Chesley case makes sense, if
> each step of the process is inspected without looking at the whole. But we
> must always ask if the full means used are in proportion to the seriousness
> of the offense.
>
> Brian was lawfully leaving scheduled park district basketball. Officer
> Davis, for reasons that have never been adequately explained, decided that
> Brian, out of all of the kids in the park at that time, should be included
> in a police database of the area, and called for reinforcements when Brian
> declined.
>
> For this minor infraction, Brian was roughed up, arrested, charged and
> tried. This is absolutely out of proportion to the "crime".
>
> I don't see a plan here. What I do see is that Chief Finney needs to
> tighten up procedures so that this sort of over-reaction is made a lot less
> likely than it is.
>
> Bob

Brian Dolinar, Ph.D.
303 W. Locust St.