[Peace-discuss] Chesley crime?

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 30 13:03:40 CDT 2008

The database thing really sticks in my craw, the idea that that's what the Chpgn police were after from the outset, and Brian Chesley's subsequent (and ill-advised) behavior just played into their hands. I heard a panel matter-of-factly discussing it (database) on C-Span as the recommended procedure on a national level for those STOPPED by police and could not believe what I was hearing (not everyone on the panel concurred, but nobody was outraged either).
   --Jenifer

  Bob Illyes <illyes at uiuc.edu> wrote:
  It is easy, Shirley, to think that the Brian Chesley case makes sense, if
each step of the process is inspected without looking at the whole. But we
must always ask if the full means used are in proportion to the seriousness
of the offense.

Brian was lawfully leaving scheduled park district basketball. Officer
Davis, for reasons that have never been adequately explained, decided that
Brian, out of all of the kids in the park at that time, should be included
in a police database of the area, and called for reinforcements when Brian
declined.

For this minor infraction, Brian was roughed up, arrested, charged and
tried. This is absolutely out of proportion to the "crime".

I don't see a plan here. What I do see is that Chief Finney needs to
tighten up procedures so that this sort of over-reaction is made a lot less
likely than it is.

Bob