[Peace-discuss] U.S. House Passes Resolution Apologizing for Slavery

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Sat Aug 2 16:41:12 CDT 2008

LAURIE wrote:
> I wonder where, if not from society, do you derive your civil rights
> to individuality, to freedom to act, and to choose in your own behalf.
> You are not going to tell me that those rights are "god given,"
> natural rights, inherent rights while the social civic
> responsibilities are not?
Those rights are God given natural rights, as you say.
(...endowed by the Creator with certain unalienable rights...life,
liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.)

  Of course such rights do not come from the society.
The society has no power whatsoever to give such rights, but it
certainly is able and willing to take them away.

The invisible hand of God working in the lives of individuals is to me
the path to harmony.

The need for "small" and "local" at  what ever level of organization
that there might be in government was obvious to the ancients
and it is true today.  Only tyranny needs empires.

Large federal government insinuating itself with coercion into every
level of life is pathologic.  I dont want
the people of Chicago running my life here in Urbana and I most
certainly do not desire any input whatsoever from the
Procrustean bed thinking of people several hundred to several thousand
miles in the distance.