[Peace-discuss] U.S. House Passes Resolution Apologizing for Slavery

LAURIE LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sat Aug 2 15:45:04 CDT 2008

Just to play devil's advocate, you say you are fully of age; what age is
that and who defines that standard.  Why should a six year old declare that
they are fully of age and able to choose their commitments and bear the
costs of risking bad choices and their consequences?  I would humbly submit
that the notion of fully of age is a societal or collective standard and has
meaning only because is comprises a collectively sanctioned value and norm
of behavior.  Without a collective consciousness, there would be no civil
society with laws and rules of behavior regulating behavior and conflicts
among the individual participants.  It would be everyone for themselves - a
Hobbesian state.

 Anarchism, I would suggest, only works if there is tacit condition of
common trust among and between the collection of anarchists, a common set of
values, goals, and standards of behavior among and between them, a common
assumption that all the individuals in the collection are all well meaning,
compassionate, and rational.  It also make an assumption that their exists
something similar to Adam Smith's "magic hand" that functions to guide the
interests and actions of the participants in a mutually beneficial manner
and direction.

As for Libertarianism and its emphasis on individualism, I would suggest
that such individualism only has meaning within the framework of a society -
a collectivity that all the members identify with and see themselves as part
of.  The only questions for Libertarians are the degree to which
individualism will be implemented and the areas in which it will apply; but
they still accept the need for a societal collectivity and the fact that
they are not free in all instances to do whatever they want whenever they
choose to do so but will be constrained in what they are free to do as
individuals.  Since you seem to feel that you are free to reject any
responsibilities that you have not personally and explicitly subscribed to
independent of any collective need for them or good that might come from
them, I wonder where, if not from society, do you derive your civil rights
to individuality, to freedom to act, and to choose in your own behalf.  You
are not going to tell me that those rights are "god given," natural rights,
inherent rights while the social civic responsibilities are not?

In short, I do not see your stated position as being a feasible one - even
as an abstract goal.  Note that I am not challenging the legitimacy of your
holding your position only the feasibility of the position.