[Peace-discuss] Will I.P. elect McCain?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 3 12:56:30 CDT 2008

Our congressional representative, Tim Johnson, who's been praised recently for
not voting in obviously wrong ways on a few matters, cast a couple of bad votes
this week that raise aspects of the problem.  First, he voted *against* HR 1338,
which sought to ban employer retaliation and enable women to sue for recovery of
back pay and compensatory and punitive damages; then he voted *for* making that
new legal authority dependent on the Labor Department's showing that the law
would not hinder the ability of employers to recruit their workforces!

The legislation was designed to correct discriminatory decisions by the vastly
business-friendly Supreme Court, and I think we'd all agree that Tim voted wrong
on it.  But note that the legislation provides at best an equality of
exploitation (a stop-gap, one might say).  The business class a generation ago
discovered that it could use the second wave of feminism against its hated and
feared rival, the labor movement, which it has now effectively vanquished. Wage
rates have been essentially flat for three decades, and the stagflation of the
1970s is not a threat in the current recession because wage demands have been
defeated -- and one of the reasons was the vast increase of the "reserve army of
the unemployed" when American families went from one to two wage earners.

Liberation of women in employment under American conditions paradoxically led to
the growing increase in inequality in the current generation. The Left's giving
up the attack on those conditions at the same time is its principal crime. --CGE