[Peace-discuss] Illinois Congressional elections

Tom Abram tabram at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 08:17:54 CDT 2008

Several of those races have or had Green Party candidates as well.

The 8th had Iain Abernathy, who was throw off the ballot by the Democrats on
bogus slating technicalities.

The 10th had David Kalbfleisch, Iraq War veteran, who was thrown off the
ballot by the Democrats for the primary and then again for the general.

The 11th has Jason Wallace, Iraq War veteran, who has been running a very
strong campaign with a significant amount of press.  He's been in the
campaign the longest, since the others jumped in only when Weller announced
retirement.

The 14th had Robert Hill, Iraq War veteran, thrown off the ballot by the
Democrats on bogus slating technicalities.

The 18th has Sheldon Schafer, who's had some decent press.

Unfortunately, we don't have a candidate in the 15th.  We would have liked
to, but did not find anyone in time.

There are also several other congressional candidates in Illinois:

Jerome Pohlen's in the 3rd against Dan Lipinski, a bellicose machine
Democrat.

Omar Lopez is in the 4th.  He was a main organizer of the immigrant marches
in Chicago and was recently on the cover of the Chicago Reader.
http://www.chicagoreader.com/features/stories/greenparty/

Alan Augustson's in the 5th against Rahm Emmanuel, who was the head of the
Democratic Congressional Committee in 2006 and handpicked the conservative,
pro-war candidates that replaced the conservative, pro-war Republicans.

Morris Shanfield's technically in the 8th, but I honestly haven't heard a
peep out of him.

Rodger Jennings, Steve Alesch, and Scott Summers are running in the 12, 13,
and 16th districts, respectively, have some good campaigns going.

Our candidate in the 17th, Troy Dennis, was kicked off the ballot, and our
candidate in the 19th, Vic Roberts, recently passed away.

All Green congressional candidates are firmly against the war.  I guess
those "leading the conservative movement" didn't want to promote that
viewpoint.

The last Illinois Green Congressional candidate was our very own Carl
Estabrook in 2002, who ran against another weak Democrat, Tim Hartke.
Achieving statewide ballot access was incredibly useful to getting our
candidates on the ballot.  Can you imagine how many candidates' voices have
been stifled due to undemocratic ballot access restrictions?  And not just
Greens.  There were several Libertarian and Constitutional candidates this
year who were thrown off the ballot, due to incredibly high requirements.
Is that really in our best interest?

Tom Abram