[Peace-discuss] Illinois Congressional elections

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 14 11:18:20 CDT 2008

Actually it indicates how seriously our presumed opposition party takes them.

Since the Democrats don't really mean to contest this seat (IL 15th CD) but
rather leave it to the incumbent -- it's part of the "sweetheart gerrymandering"
that occurred in 2000 -- they put up only pro forma candidates, or don't fund
serious ones (like Gill).

In 2002, the Democrats were not going to run anyone in the 15th -- until the
Greens overcame the serious barrier that Reps and Dems together put up against
third party candidates.  Then the Dems hastily named a place-holder who was not
a serious candidate -- not to win, but to cut down the Green vote.  --CGE