[Peace-discuss] Tropic Thunder - Satire or Offensive

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 14:55:29 CDT 2008

 As much as I like Ben Stiller's movies I'm reluctant to see his latest film
Tropic Thunder. In addition to the flap over how the disabled are treated
I'm somewhat surprised over the fact that I haven't seen anyone protest the
'blackface' assumed by Robert Downey Jr. On the one hand I don't want to
judge a movie that I haven't seen, yet I have to admit to being conflicted.

On a personal note I have an older brother who is disabled. As an infant he
suffered from a high fever which caused brain damage and it affected his
development. My mother told me that  she and other women who had special
needs kids were often called "Refrigerator Mothers" due to the prevailing
myth that the kids became disabled due to emotionally cold mothers.  Growing
up my brother received horrible treatment from other kids due to his
disability and some of the adults my family encountered were not kind. When
I was a kid there were other kids who treated me differently because of my
brother. Once when he was at camp a police officer confronted my father
accusing my brother of trespassing....fortunately being at camp gave my
brother an airtight alibi.  The disabled are also often unfairly targeted by
law enforcement and my brother was no exception.

It's hard to express how being disabled can have an impact on individuals
and their families. Suffice to say when I hear someone use the term 'retard'
I cringe internally. As human beings we all have limitations. In the case of
the disabled their limitations are simply more visible. One of my neighbors
is blind and she told me that blind people can do what most sighted people
are able to do...with a few accommodations. Yet, the unemployment rate for
blind adults is over 90%. My brother works as a dishwasher for a private
dorm and has been gainfully employed for many years. Still there is much
that needs to be done to address the rights of disabled individuals.

I'm not going to suggest that anyone boycott this movie. I'm of the opinion
that is a personal choice. However, I would hope that this movie might be
able to generate some critical discussion on how people are still portrayed
in movies.

Peace, Marti