[Peace-discuss] Re: [Discuss] Tropic Thunder - Satire or Offensive

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 15:38:53 CDT 2008

There is the issue of blackface in this film.

There is the issue of the drug addict character who we are supposed
to laugh at when he is going through withdrawal.

There is the glorification of war, imperialism and of the US
imperialist incursions into Vietnam.

There's probably a whole lot of other stuff in there but I'm not
investing too much time because (a) the film looks be a giant,
steaming pile of crap not worth my time or money to go see and (b) it
is a comedy film -- a genre that it notorious for pushing the line in
the name of humor (see my e-mail namesake, for instance).  Now,
whether or not the joke was tasteful is a matter of personal taste.

I understand Stiller's argument and the writers' argument: they were
lampooning those people who engage in roles like "Forrest Gump", "I
Am Sam", et al. in order to have a vanity project and get awards.

But we've allowed films like "The Ringer" to go uncritically
harangued along with "White Chicks" and a whole bunch of other
cinematic pieces of crap.  It is lame, cheap humor.  Instead of
making a social point, it just looks sophomoric and uninspired when
they could have likely done more to make the social point that the
writers and Stiller are having to come out and elaborate in much more
detail.  If they have to elaborate to this extent, I think it is safe
to say that the joke flopped.

Its not the act of seeing with our own eyes alone; its correctly
comprehending what we see,

      Neil

  We absolutely have to refuse to attribute any kind of permanency to
that which is simply because it is.
[angela v. davis, 1944-]

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as
you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with
too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
[ralph waldo emerson, 1803-1882]