[Peace-discuss] Georgia

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 09:01:31 CDT 2008

I'll have to admit that I nodded off for a few minutes at some point, as well as switiching back and forth to the Cubs. It's remarkable how doctine must hide itself in fake-complicated strategic technospeak jargon, barely mentioning oil, which made the affair as boring as outrageous. These people are amazingly impressed with themselves (I'll exlcude Olcott), as was the all-white audience. Is Talbott already on the Obama team? I don't want to know.

"C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:  David--

You're made of sterner stuff than I -- I was only able to watch part of it --
but you've summarized it precisely.

Talbott is a particularly distasteful case. A principal Clintonoid, he knows
he's lying about Kosovo here. And the nature of the lie reveals the vicious
foreign policy he represents:

During the Clinton administration Talbott was said to be in charge of "managing
the consequences of the Soviet breakup" -- i.e., reducing Russia to a the state
of a Third-World country by producing a depression roughly three times worse
that the Great Depression in the US -- as Ambassador-at-Large and Special
Adviser to the Secretary of State on the New Independent States.

When Clinton attacked the former Yugoslavia in 1999, Talbott ran the
Pentagon/State Department joint intelligence committee. He wrote the forward to
the 2005 book "Collision Course: NATO, Russia, and Kosovo" by John Norris, his
Director of Communications, which he recommends as an authoritative account of
the what the Clinton administration thought about that war. In fact, Norris
points out that the real purpose of the war had nothing to do with concern for
Kosovar Albanians. The US attacked Serbia because it was not carrying out social
and economic "reforms" -- i.e., it was the only part of Europe that had not
subordinated itself to the US-run neoliberal programs.

And, unlike the Russian intervention, which put an end to attacks on civilians
in Tskhinvali, the US bombing only made matters worse in Kosovo -- the real
Serbian assaults only began after the bombing started, and as a consequence. But
as Talbott's man admits, stopping that wasn't the purpose.

Talbott's right here only in that there's not much difference between McCain and
Obama -- on this as on other issues. --CGE