[Peace-discuss] Georgian crisis

Paul Mueth paulmueth at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 15 11:36:37 CDT 2008

One thing about the current reporting, mainly NPR,
that has struck me, is the issue of casualities.
Stringers on the ground say that "only 300 have been
to the hospitals and only 45 have been confirmed dead
as of sometime yesterday, HRWatch is on board with
that . . then you hear reporting of the devastation of
the capitol of s ossetia, I presume the dead have to
acknowledge that they have been blown to smithereens
by phoning in .. .

Pravda has a story about georgian use of mercenaries,
I haven't heard any reporting here about same, about
to google the issue ..

There is speculation that there could have been some
back channel encouragement of the attack by cheney's
office/ mccain campaign/ other?  I suppose it could
just be the "madman" in tiblisi forcing the hand of
the US and so far, betting wrong ...

The crisis has certainly helped with getting the Poles
to accept the "missile shield" and get patriot
missiles in the bargain (do they work yet?) Both the
polish and US legislatures were seen as impediments to
the deal, probably not any more. . .  cui bono??

I just found out that the ossete language is dialect
of farsi, so they are sort of cousins to the Iranians
..  . falls into place, doesn't it?

oy vey!