[Peace-discuss] The past is prologue

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Mon Aug 25 00:32:23 CDT 2008

Certainly the Republican => recession, Democrat => war pattern was the
one taught in university courses on macroeconomics
when I was a biology student in the 70's.  My grandfather who was a very
conservative Republican of the Taft variety, always insisted
that the Democrat party was the War Party.

It seems that the American people have grown to eschew clear thinking
and actually prefer a
the sweet mediocrity of an ear-soothing lie to the unfamiliar
absurdities of truth.

In one of his books, Gerald M. Weinberg discusses the deceptive practice
in advertising and sales
of emphasizing the weak points of a product as being in fact one of its
strong points.  Weinberg uses as example
the popular real estate selling scheme of giving subdivisions names like
Elmwood Crest and Cherry Hills,
where there are no Elms, no Cherries, no Crests, and no Hills, but
people seems to revel in the
subterfuge, and are turned off by the truth and wouldnt be so likely to
buy a home in Cornfield Flats.

Similarly, John S. McCain's handlers seem to be playing the same game of
deceitful
rhetoric with the gullible American  public, making the warmongering neocon
out to be a proponent for  peace.  Those who become nauseated  while
watching the convention at home can supply their own emesis basin,
whether semicircular or porcelain throne, while the hapless attendees in
the Xcel center
will just have to comply with security rules barring
bringing anything into the hall that might be hurled at the
speakers in projectile fashion.

*_Thursday, Sept. 4_
Peace*
/"Our next president will have a mandate to build an enduring global
peace on the foundations of freedom, security, opportunity, prosperity,
and hope."
--Sen. John McCain/
John McCain understands the challenges that America faces in the world
and the sacrifice necessary to defend our freedom in a way that few
others can fathom. Thursday's events will reflect his vision of an
America in pursuit of peace and seen as a beacon of goodwill and hope
throughout the world. The evening will close with John McCain accepting
the Republican Party's nomination for the Presidency of the United States.
Speakers will include:
Gov. Tim Pawlenty (Minn.),Gov. Charlie Crist (Fla.),U.S. Sen. Sam
Brownback (Kan.),U.S. Sen. Mel Martinez (Fla.),John McCain