[Peace-discuss] Biden = business as usual...

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 10:58:30 CDT 2008

True enough, Illinois voters can safely vote for who we like.  As I told my mother (for the opposite reason) a few years ago when she called to ask if she could vote for Nader, "You're in Mississippi - you can vote for anybody you want to."  But I do think we can give some thought to voting as a kind of opinion poll.  That is, even if the media won't report on it reliably, political strategists whose job it is to advise candidates and parties - and frankly, those of us who make our own media or propagandize from streetcorners - may be counted on to study the actual results more closely.

So I can see voting for Nader, whose record is long and respectable on the important issues.  Cynthia McKinney has a very good speech reprinted in this month's Z Magazine, and she has been courageous on several fronts.  Basically, I like her.  But as a friend recently pointed out to me, her running mate confuses Iran and Iraq when speaking and just generally isn't that great in talking about issues - so, though a Green vote would be good, I'd be worried about my "protest vote" getting tallied in the "crackpot vote" column too easily.  As for Barr, I can't see the value of adding tally marks to the Libertarian column, however good the candidate may be on some near and dear issues.  Those business-crazy free marketeers too often dupe good people with their stances on so-called "social issues", civil rights and so on.  When it comes to the realities of living with a capitalist economy, they're not so humanitarian.

 Ricky Baldwin

"Only those who do nothing make no mistakes." - Peter Kropotkin