[Peace-discuss] Trumping the Constitution

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Wed Aug 27 16:54:45 CDT 2008

Robert,
The invasion of Iraq violated the American Constitution.  There is no
need to
refer to so-called International law to make your case against the war
in  Iraq,
as Bob points out.

The problem with international law is that not all nations under
so-called international law share
similar philosophies about what is good and just inside the borders of a
sovereign state.  Other countries
in fact the majority of other countries might think that strong
limitations on personal mobility and freedom
may be appropriate including various sorts of personal documentations
and registrations from which until rather
recently Americans completely free.

The hammer of international law can reach inside the borders of the US
just as well as it
does in some banana republic, or eastern European or mideastern rogue
state, and then
we would all be quite certain that our constitution is being violated.
Far better to point out
the problem while it is still yet manageable.

We should not tolerate any encroachment on the tenets of our
Constitution in the name
of any high ideas like the UN or international law.  We cannot bear to
be subject to
the tyranny of rule from outside our borders.

I am surprised that you suggest that we could permit such a thing.