[Peace-discuss] Trumping the Constitution (does that matter?)

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Aug 28 06:43:17 CDT 2008

The Constitution defines the ways in which government can be delivered
to the people.
It would require an amendment to the Constitution for one of its tenets
to be "overthrown".
Mere legislation should never trump the Constitution.  Many ills of the
overgrowth of the
federal government and its insinuation into every aspect of our lives
have occurred because
the Constitution has been ignored and treated as toilet paper,
particularly by the Bush Administration.

You raise a valid point in that you consider whether or not the Congress
might have actually declared
war on Iraq in the groundswell of mass insanity post-911.  You are
correct that the War on Iraq would
still be an Unjust War even if it were constitutional.  Since an
outright declaration of war might eventually lead
to forced conscription to build an army, it might not have been all that
easy.  Who can say now, though?
But it is an  interesting question.

Certainly we all will agree that the Bush Doctrine of  pre-emptive war
is Unjust.  That
which is unjust and morally wrong is also that which is likely to be or
become illegal.
There is almost no doubt that if Peru or Colombia was attacking and
invading
a country halfway around  the world and displacing its government
and wreaking havoc on the people , the US government would indeed
make some appeal to international law and intervene,
or perhaps the US would be drawn in and obligated under some treaty or
entanglement.

But now let's put the shoe on the other foot.  Actually it seems by the
dictates of logic that if it is OK
for the US to police the world under the banner of the UN, then the
world would have the right,
maybe even an obligation, to attack the US just the same as the US
armies attack and invade some other
rogue state.  UN tanks ought then to be rolling down Pennsylvania Avenue
taking those responsible to
justice just the same as they might come after a Milosevic, Hussein,
Noriega,
or some other 39-cent dictator like Bush (or McCain).