[Peace-discuss] abridging the right of the people peaceably to assemble...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 31 15:12:03 CDT 2008

	SUNDAY AUG. 31, 2008 11:46 EDT
	Federal government involved in raids on protesters

As the police attacks on protesters in Minnesota continue -- see this video of
the police swarming a bus transporting members of Earth Justice, seizing the bus
and leaving the group members stranded on the side of the highway -- it appears
increasingly clear that it is the Federal Government that is directing this
intimidation campaign. Minnesota Public Radio reported yesterday that "the
searches were led by the Ramsey County Sheriff's office. Deputies coordinated
searches with the Minneapolis and St. Paul police departments and the Federal
Bureau of Investigation."

Today's Star Tribune added that the raids were specifically "aided by informants
planted in protest groups." Back in May, Marcy Wheeler presciently noted that
the Minneapolis Joint Terrorist Task Force -- an inter-agency group of federal,
state and local law enforcement led by the FBI -- was actively recruiting
Minneapolis residents to serve as plants, to infiltrate "vegan groups" and other
left-wing activist groups and report back to the Task Force about what they were
doing. There seems to be little doubt that it was this domestic spying by the
Federal Government that led to the excessive and truly despicable home assaults
by the police yesterday.

So here we have a massive assault led by Federal Government law enforcement
agencies on left-wing dissidents and protesters who have committed no acts of
violence or illegality whatsoever, preceded by months-long espionage efforts to
track what they do. And as extraordinary as that conduct is, more extraordinary
is the fact that they have received virtually no attention from the national
media and little outcry from anyone. And it's not difficult to see why. As the
recent "overhaul" of the 30-year-old FISA law illustrated -- preceded by the
endless expansion of surveillance state powers, justified first by the War on
Drugs and then the War on Terror -- we've essentially decided that we want our
Government to spy on us without limits. There is literally no police power that
the state can exercise that will cause much protest from the political and media
class and, therefore, from the citizenry.

Beyond that, there is a widespread sense that the targets of these raids deserve
what they get, even if nothing they've done is remotely illegal. We love to
proclaim how much we cherish our "freedoms" in the abstract, but we despise
those who actually exercise them. The Constitution, right in the very First
Amendment, protects free speech and free assembly precisely because those
liberties are central to a healthy republic -- but we've decided that anyone who
would actually express truly dissident views or do anything other than sit
meekly and quietly in their homes are dirty trouble-makers up to no good, and
it's therefore probably for the best if our Government keeps them in check,
spies on them, even gets a little rough with them.

After all, if you don't want the FBI spying on you, or the Police surrounding
and then invading your home with rifles and seizing your computers, there's a
very simple solution: don't protest the Government. Just sit quietly in your
house and mind your own business. That way, the Government will have no reason
to monitor what you say and feel the need to intimidate you by invading your
home. Anyone who decides to protest -- especially with something as unruly and
disrespectful as an unauthorized street march -- gets what they deserve.
Isn't it that mentality which very clearly is the cause of virtually everyone
turning away as these police raids escalate against citizens -- including
lawyers, journalists and activists -- who have broken no laws and whose only
crime is that they intend vocally to protest what the Government is doing? Add
to that the fact that many good establishment liberals are embarrassed by
leftist protesters of this sort and wish that they would remain invisible, and
there arises a widespread consensus that these Government attacks are perfectly
tolerable if not desirable.

During the Olympics just weeks ago, there was endless hand-wringing over the
efforts by the Chinese Government to squelch dissent and incarcerate protesters.
On August 21, The Washington Post fretted:

Six Americans detained by police this week could be held for 10 days, according
to Chinese authorities, who appear to be intensifying their efforts to shut down
any public demonstrations during the final days of the Olympic Games. . . .
Chinese Olympic officials announced last month that Beijing would set up zones
where people could protest during the Games, as long as they had received
permission. None of the 77 applications submitted was approved, however, and
several other would-be protesters were stopped from even applying.

On August 2, The Post gravely warned:

Behind the gray walls and barbed wire of the prison here, eight Chinese farmers
with a grievance against the government have been consigned to Olympic limbo.
Their indefinite detainment, relatives and neighbors said, is the price they are
paying for stirring up trouble as China prepares to host the Beijing Games.
Trouble, the Communist Party has made clear, will not be permitted.

Would The Washington Post ever use such dark and accusatory tones to describe
what the U.S. Government does? Of course it wouldn't. Yet how is our own
Government's behavior in Minnesota any different than what the Chinese did to
its protesters during the Olympics (other than the fact that we actually have a
Constitution that prohibits such behavior)? And where are all the self-righteous
Freedom Crusaders in our nation's establishment organs who were so flamboyantly
criticizing the actions of a Government on the other side of the globe as our
own Government engages in the same tyrannical, protest-squelching conduct with
exactly the same motives?

Just review what happened yesterday and today. Homes of college-aid protesters
were raided by rifle-wielding police forces. Journalists were forcibly detained
at gun point. Lawyers on the scene to represent the detainees were handcuffed.
Computers, laptops, journals, diaries, and political pamphlets were seized from
people's homes. And all of this occurred against U.S. citizens, without a single
act of violence having taken place, and nothing more serious than traffic
blockage even alleged by authorities to have been planned.

A man whose sister was one of those arrested at one of the raided houses in
Minneapolis yesterday emailed me a photograph of her and her friend who was also
arrested -- Monica Bicking (r.) and Eryn Trimme -- and he wrote this:

They are still in custody. I've been told that the police have 36 hours to
charge her, and that 36 hours starts after the labor day holiday, so they only
have to charge her sometime Wednesday. It seems unlikely that they'd do anything
to expedite her or Eryn's release.

They were then planning to actually board up her house for unspecified "code
violations", but apparently her neighbors were very vocal, and the police ended
up agreeing not to do anything so long as the front door was fixed by 6pm (the
front door they'd busted in).

Here is the extraordinary blog item I linked to yesterday from Eileen Clancy,
one of the founders of I-Witness Video -- a NYC-based video collective which is
in St. Paul to document the policing of the protests around this week's
Republican National Convention, just as they did at the 2004 GOP Convention in
New York. Clancy wrote this as a plea for help, as the Police surrounded her
house and (before they had a search warrant) told everyone inside that they'd be
arrested if they exited the home:

This is Eileen Clancy . . . The house where I-Witness Video is staying in St.
Paul has been surrounded by police. We have locked all the doors. We have been
told that if we leave we will be detained. One of our people who was caught
outside is being detained in handcuffs in front of the house. The police say
that they are waiting to get a search warrant. More than a dozen police are
wielding firearms, including one St. Paul officer with a long gun, which someone
told me is an M-16.

We are suffering a preemptive video arrest. For those that don't know, I-Witness
Video was remarkably successful in exposing police misconduct and outright
perjury by police during the 2004 RNC. Out of 1800 arrests, at least 400 were
overturned based solely on video evidence which contradicted sworn statements
which were fabricated by police officers. It seems that the house arrest we are
now under and the possible threat of the seizure of our computers and video
cameras is a result of the 2004 success.

We are asking the public to contact the office of St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman
at 651-266-8510 to stop this house arrest, this gross intimidation by police
officers, and the detention of media activists and reporters.

That sounds like what it was: a cry for help from a hostage. Hours later, the
Police finally obtained a search warrant -- for the wrong house, one adjacent to
the house where they were being detained -- and nonetheless broke in, pointing
guns, forced them to lay on the floor and handcuffed everyone inside (and
handcuffed a National Lawyers Guild attorney outside). They searched the house,
arrested nobody, and then left.

Any rational person planning to protest the GOP Convention would, in light of
this Government spying and these police raids, think twice -- at least -- about
whether to do so. That is the point of the raids -- to announce to citizens that
they best stay in their homes and be good, quiet, meek, compliant people unless
they want their homes to be invaded, their property seized, and have rifles
pointed at them, too. The fact that this behavior is producing so little outcry
only ensures, for obvious reasons, that it will continue in the future. We love
our Surveillance State for keeping us safe and maintaining nice, quiet order.

--Glenn Greenwald

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/08/31/raids/index.html