[Peace-discuss] Alex Cockburn on VPs

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Aug 31 20:27:09 CDT 2008

[Here's some data (scientists like data, right?) on David's thesis that
"'culture wars' serve both the faux-right and faux-left establishments, as they
distract from fundamental economic issues that are class-based."  And also on
who is most susceptible to this distraction.  Larry M. Bartels, the director of
the Center for the Study of Democratic Politics at Princeton and the author of
“Unequal Democracy: The Political Economy of the New Gilded Age,” wrote the
following for the NYT 17 April 2008. --CGE]

...Small-town people of modest means and limited education are not fixated on
cultural issues. Rather, it is affluent, college-educated people living in
cities and suburbs who are most exercised by guns and religion. In contemporary
American politics, social issues are the opiate of the elites.

For the sake of concreteness, let’s define the people ... whose family incomes
are less than $60,000 (an amount that divides the electorate roughly in half),
who do not have college degrees and who live in small towns or rural areas. For
the sake of convenience, let’s call these people the small-town working class,
though that term is inevitably imprecise. In 2004, they were about 18 percent of
the population and about 16 percent of voters.

For purposes of comparison, consider the people who are their demographic
opposites: people whose family incomes are $60,000 or more, who are college
graduates and who live in cities or suburbs. These (again, conveniently labeled)
cosmopolitan voters were about 11 percent of the population in 2004 and about 13
percent of voters. While admittedly crude, these definitions provide a
systematic basis for assessing the accuracy of [a certain] view of contemporary
class politics...

Do small-town, working-class voters cast ballots on the basis of social issues?
Yes, but less than other voters do. Among these voters, those who are
anti-abortion were only 6 percentage points more likely than those who favor
abortion rights to vote for President Bush in 2004. The corresponding difference
for the rest of the electorate was 27 points, and for cosmopolitan voters it was
a remarkable 58 points. Similarly, the votes cast by the cosmopolitan crowd in
2004 were much more likely to reflect voters’ positions on gun control and gay
marriage.

Small-town, working-class voters were also less likely to connect religion and
politics. Support for President Bush was only 5 percentage points higher among
the 39 percent of small-town voters who said they attended religious services
every week or almost every week than among those who seldom or never attended
religious services. The corresponding difference among cosmopolitan voters (34
percent of whom said they attended religious services regularly) was 29
percentage points.

It is true that American voters attach significantly more weight to social
issues than they did 20 years ago. It is also true that church attendance has
become a stronger predictor of voting behavior. But both of those changes are
concentrated primarily among people who are affluent and well educated, not
among the working class...