[Peace-discuss] Obama and torture

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 1 22:35:49 CST 2008

Obama's not really against torture either. Not like you and I are. No one will
be punished for using or ordering torture. No one will be impeached because of
torture. Michael Ratner, president of the Center for Constitutional Rights, says
that prosecuting Bush officials is necessary to set future anti-torture policy.
"The only way to prevent this from happening again is to make sure that those
who were responsible for the torture program pay the price for it. I don't see
how we regain our moral stature by allowing those who were intimately involved
in the torture programs to simply walk off the stage and lead lives where they
are not held accountable."

As president, Obama cannot remain silent and do nothing; otherwise he will
inherit the war crimes of Bush and Cheney and become a war criminal himself.
Closing the Guantanamo hell-hole means nothing at all if the prisoners are
simply moved to other torture dungeons. If Obama is truly against torture, why
does he not declare that after closing Guantanamo the inmates will be tried in
civilian courts in the US or resettled in countries where they clearly face no
risk of torture? And simply affirm that his administration will faithfully abide
by the 1984 Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading
Treatment, of which the United States is a signatory, and which states: "The
term 'torture' means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical
or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining
information or a confession ... inflicted by or at the instigation of or with
the consent or acquiescence of a public official or any other person acting in
an official capacity."

The convention affirms that: "No exceptional circumstances whatsoever, whether a
state of war or a threat of war, internal political stability or any other
public emergency, may be invoked as a justification of torture."

Instead, Obama has appointed former CIA official John O. Brennan as an adviser
on intelligence matters and co-leader of his intelligence transition team.
Brennan has called "rendition" – the kidnap-and-torture program carried out
under the Clinton and Bush administrations – a "vital tool", and praised the
CIA's interrogation techniques for providing "lifesaving" intelligence...

--William Blum, "The Anti-Empire Report," 1 December 2008 <www.killinghope.org>