[Peace-discuss] UFPJ desires ...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu Dec 4 12:42:18 CST 2008

I'm not sure how you mean "pseudo-Marxist."  How e.g. does it differ from real
Marxist?

Are you denying that there are economic and geopolitical motives for US invasion
and occupation of the Middle East?  If, e.g., the principal product of Iraq were
asparagus, would we have half the US military there?

But I see no examples of genocide (a word coined in the mid-20th century and now
used primarily for propaganda purposes) in the current Middle East.

The extent to which the anti-war movement of 40 years ago would "not allow" war
in Vietnam to be continued was one of the important factors in bringing that war
to an end.  We rightly aspire to doing at least as well today.

And to ask Stalin's question about the pope, in regard to UFPJ, is probably a
good little example of Marx's throw-away line, "Everything in history happens
twice ... the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce."