[Peace-discuss] A curious omission by the News-Gazette

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Tue Dec 9 13:12:33 CST 2008

I find it interesting that in his movie, The Slacker Uprising, Michael Moore
also told those who did not vote in the election prior to the 2006
by-election because they had given up on the system to give the system one
more try before deciding to give up on it.  Not that it has anything to do
with this discussion, but it was interesting in that, after telling them
that and getting them to vote, the Democrats got control of both chambers of
Congress and then proceeded to  renege on their promises with respect to
fighting the Bush policies and reversing many of the actions that were taken
by the Bush Administration.  It appears as if Obama is doing the same sort
of thing when it comes to meeting the expectations of his base.  This leaves
me to wonder what Michael Moore will be telling the Slackers the next
election now that they have not only given the system one more try but have
given it two more tries and got the same result.  I wonder if he will say it
is ok for them to give up on the system now that they have given it those
extra chances.  I think he will probably forget he ever said that or find
some way to justify not honoring it.

I make this statement because I think that people put too much faith in
those who are good propagandists - be they from the right or the left - and
are selling a point of view or cause.  Just goes to show that the saying "we
won't be fooled again" has been replaced by "there is a sucker born every
minute, and you just happened to be born at the right moment."  I have to
also wonder why Moore remains so invested in supporting the system even
after it failed to work after the 2006 elections and if it fails to work
again after the 2008 elections? How will he convince future slackers to vote
in future elections given the outcomes of the past ones.  You can only say
give it one more try once or twice before the appeal looses meaning.