[Peace-discuss] A curious omission by the News-Gazette

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 13:28:30 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 1:12 PM, LAURIE SOLOMON <LAURIE at advancenet.net>wrote:

I find it interesting that in his movie, The Slacker Uprising, Michael Moore
> also told those who did not vote in the election prior to the 2006
> by-election because they had given up on the system to give the system one
> more try before deciding to give up on it.  Not that it has anything to do
> with this discussion, but it was interesting in that, after telling them
> that and getting them to vote, the Democrats got control of both chambers
> of
> Congress and then proceeded to  renege on their promises with respect to
> fighting the Bush policies and reversing many of the actions that were
> taken
> by the Bush Administration.  It appears as if Obama is doing the same sort
> of thing when it comes to meeting the expectations of his base.  This
> leaves
> me to wonder what Michael Moore will be telling the Slackers the next
> election now that they have not only given the system one more try but have
> given it two more tries and got the same result.  I wonder if he will say
> it
> is ok for them to give up on the system now that they have given it those
> extra chances.  I think he will probably forget he ever said that or find
> some way to justify not honoring it.
>
> I make this statement because I think that people put too much faith in
> those who are good propagandists - be they from the right or the left - and
> are selling a point of view or cause.  Just goes to show that the saying
> "we
> won't be fooled again" has been replaced by "there is a sucker born every
> minute, and you just happened to be born at the right moment."  I have to
> also wonder why Moore remains so invested in supporting the system even
> after it failed to work after the 2006 elections and if it fails to work
> again after the 2008 elections? How will he convince future slackers to
> vote
> in future elections given the outcomes of the past ones.  You can only say
> give it one more try once or twice before the appeal looses meaning.

I have no doubt that on some level Michael Moore is the soul of sincerity,
Laurie.  But think about what a superb self-promoter he is, and how he makes
his money.  Wouldn't it be nice to be able to make millions doing what you
enjoy doing, and be perceived as a highly principled human being at the same
time?  Does it get any better than that?

John Wason