[Peace-discuss] socializing an industry -- good but also bad

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Wed Dec 10 22:07:04 CST 2008

Come on Karen; what is to keep executives of private corporations from
working with each other to control an industry and mismanage it?  Look at
the oil and natural gas industry, the coal and strip mining industry, the
auto industry, etc.  Horrible things can happen to natural resources in the
hands of the wrong private executives as well, just consider (1) the lumber
industry which has cut down all kinds of forests for private profit leaving
the land incapable of handling run off resulting in floods, erosion, and
polluting of rivers and streams, (2) power company facilities which have
built dams that have resulted in flooding of usable land, killing of wild
life, and destruction of fish runs, or (3) the chemical industry which
produced, maintained, and shipped toxic and dangerous products and
by-products in environmentally unsafe ways as well as in potentially
dangerous fashion to human beings and communities.

Besides, while Watt may have been horrible in his management of federal
properties and natural resources, it often was in collaboration with and
urging of the captains of private industry or in conjunction with the
actions of private company executives, who were also simultaneously
mismanaging their privately owned properties and natural resources in ways
adverse to the common good, harmful to the environment and future
generations of people and animals, and destructive to  currently existing
human beings and communities.  The things you are worrying about and bring
up are always risks whether in privately controlled industries or publically
controlled ones.