[Peace-discuss] Shoe-thrower is "Americanized"... [go Code Pink!]

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 16 10:28:43 CST 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 09:29:53AM -0600, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> It's been suggested that people wrap up an old shoe and mail it to the
> White House.
>
> I'd suggest that it be addressed to "Occupant."

Cute.

It turns out that Code Pink got right on the shoe project!
See this Monday afternoon press release:

   http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2008/12/15-4

   Peace Activists Take Shoes to White House in Solidarity With Shoe-Throwing Iraqi Journalist
   Call for his release and tribute to Iraqis who have suffered under US occupation

WASHINGTON - December 15 - In solidarity with an Iraqi journalist who threw his
shoes at George W. Bush at a Baghdad press conference Sunday, peace activists
will gather outside the White House with bags of shoes representing Iraqis and
U.S. soldiers who have died since the Bush Administration's illegal invasion of Iraq.

They aim to show support for Iraqi journalist Muntader al-Zaidi, who hurled his
shoes at President Bush while he spoke at the conference on his "surprise"
visit to discuss the war.  Al-Zaidi is currently being held by Iraqi police and
questioned on his actions.  The peace activists are calling on the Iraqi
government to release al-Zaidi without charges and have set up a fund to
support him and his family."

"It's outrageous that al-Zaidi could get two years in prison for insulting
George Bush, when Bush is directly responsible for the deaths of 1.5 million
Iraqis and 4,200 U.S. troops, and 5 million displaced Iraqis," says Medea
Benjamin of CODEPINK. "The one who should be in jail is George Bush, and he
should be charged with war crimes."

The gesture of throwing shoes is considered a major insult in Arabic culture.

"Al-Zaidi's act of civil disobedience expresses the disgust that so many Iraqis
and Americans feel towards a man who has caused so much pain and suffering,"
says Anas Shallal of Iraqi Voices for Peace. "It is indeed a fitting tribute to
the end of the Bush reign of terror."

U.S. veterans who served in Iraq will also participate in the shoe action at
the White House.

"Having one shoe thrown at George Bush pales in comparison to the suffering
that veterans and Iraqis go through everyday," says Geoffrey Milliard of Iraq
Veterans Against the War.  "Perhaps if Bush can see some more of these shoes
before he leaves office, he will feel some of our pain."

WHAT: Peace activists to gather with shoes in solidarity to Iraqi journalist
WHEN: 11 a.m., Weds. Dec. 17
WHERE: In front of White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

For more information, please call Medea Benjamin at 415-235-6517.