[Peace-discuss] GEO in the News - Gazette

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 16:07:30 CST 2008

http://www.newsgazette.com/news/local/2008/12/17/graduate_employees_organization_keep_sonogram_services

URBANA – Despite final exams, relentless snow and below-freezing
temperatures, more than a dozen University of Illinois graduate students and
employees gathered in front of the campus health center on Tuesday to call
for better health care for students.

"Women's health should be a priority!" they shouted. Health care benefits
should be improved, not whittled away, several said in response to news that
because of the upcoming retirement of a technician, sonograms may not be
available at the center.

With a family history of ovarian cancer, graduate student and employee Aimee
Rickman said her doctors have told her she should have a sonogram performed
twice a year to screen for ovarian cancer. Since she has been a graduate
student at the UI, she has had those procedures at McKinley.

"I don't want to get ovarian cancer. To stay on top of it, I need these
screenings," she said.

University spokeswoman Robin Kaler said the health center's staff is
optimistic the university would be able to maintain the sonogram service
after the technician's retirement.

"We're now negotiating with a community health partner to find a replacement
to continue the service one day a week with no cost to students," she said.

Since a contract has not been finalized, Kaler said she could not release
details such as the name of the provider or the cost of the contract.

The sonogram is an important tool in women's health care, said nurse
practitioner Susan Miller, who has worked at McKinley for 25 years. If a
patient comes to McKinley complaining of pelvic pain or irregular bleeding,
a sonogram can help detect fibroids, an ectopic pregnancy or endometriosis,
Miller said.

"If they take our tools away, we can't do our jobs," she said.

"We know the university has budget issues," said Jim McGuire, president of
American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Local 698,
which represents nurses and technicians at McKinley Health Center. But cuts
shouldn't be made in health care for students, he said.

The Graduate Employees' Organization, which sponsored Tuesday's rally, would
like the university to hire a full-time sonogram technician.

"We want it to be a regular service," said graduate student and employee
Michael Simeone. "That signifies the university's commitment to health
care."

"The GEO recognizes we're in difficult economic times, but slashing basic
medical services is something that cannot happen," he added.
Find this article at:
http://www.newsgazette.com/news/2008/12/17/graduate_employees_organization_keep_sonogram_services
Comments