[Peace-discuss] Fw: FOCUS | Harold Meyerson: Labor's Fresh Face

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 21:13:52 CST 2008

I also posted a second Palast article "Obama Slam Duncans
Education".  I also posted about 4 other articles but you only talked
about Klein?  Seriously, that is some cherry picking of Bush league
proportions.

http://www.gregpalast.com/update-obama-slam-duncans-education/

And if Obama thinks this guy runs such great schools, why the Hell
didn't he put his own children in the schools run by Duncan?  It
isn't points for Obama, it is another clear example of education for
the rich and "teaching to the test/NCLB love" for the rest of us rank
and filers.

And just because you don't see it doesn't mean it hasn't happened.
Duncan in the name of NCLB has "restructured" schools into compliance
by firing all of the staff per federal dictum.  I let my fingers do
the Googling and found some easy factoids: "Restructuring. Schools
enter this stage after not making AYP for a sixth consecutive year.
Schools must do everything from Corrective Action I. In addition,
schools must implement the plans for restructuring that were
developed in the prior year. Restructuring means taking extreme
action such as firing teachers and administrators, becoming a charter
school, or being run by a private company."  So, union representation
has nothing to do with it if the almighty test scores aren't there.

And to think that Duncan was supported by labor is absolutely
laughable with the restructurings, the move toward charter schools
and declaring that he would like all schools to be non-union charter
schools.

Read up on what the rank and filers have to say about Duncan because
his policies directly impacted them than worrying about what the
union leadership said.  As many rank and filers have stated, there is
a very contentious relationship between the union and Duncan because
of his privatization hard-on.

Live without dead time,
      Neil

  With the people, for the people, by the people. I crack up when I
hear it; I say, with the handful, for the handful, by the handful
because that's what really happens.
[fannie lou hamer, 1917-1977]

Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil
obedience...Our problem is that people are obedient all over the
world in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war,
and cruelty. Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails
are full of petty thieves, and all the while the grand thieves are
running and robbing the country. That's our problem.
[howard zinn, 1922-]