[Peace-discuss] No change

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Mon Dec 22 11:39:36 CST 2008

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 10:41:10AM -0600, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> I think it's a sort of valedictory chortle on Rice's part, pleased that her
> crimes will be continued by her successors.  She wouldn't have said it if
> she didn't think it was so, not wanting to look any more foolish than she
> already does.  She just trumpets what's become obvious -- the Obama
> administration will probably be at least as belligerent as the (late) Bush
> administration.

Do you think so?  It's hard to take her words seriously.  Rice was on Tavis
Smiley's show just this weekend, invited on to give a retrospective of her
Bush Adm. career, and repeated past claims that The US Does Not Torture, etc.

Given that she might yet be indicted for abetting war crimes, it's natural
that she'd say things like this -- why admit culpability? -- but she'd
hardly be expected to say that the next Administration wouldn't continue
with crimes that the present one has committed, no matter whether she
believes it might be true.

It doesn't mean I'm not worried, but it's not what Condoleeza Rice says that
should worry us.