[Peace-discuss] Christianity and War - Laurence Vance

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Dec 25 03:44:49 CST 2008

I just tonight "discovered" anti-war libertarian Christian author
Laurence M. Vance ---
I think that many of you will enjoy hearing or reading Vance,
particularly those of you are professing Christians,
and those of you who are not, or have aught against Christians,
Republicans, Bushites, hypocrites, etc.

I certainly enjoyed hearing and reading him.
He is a von Mises scholar and is logical and very direct.

I have posted video, audio and text links to Vance at my blog.

http://www.liberty4urbana.com/drupal-6.8/node/42

I believe that both the video and the audio are worth hearing.

____
 From Vance interview with Angela Wittman of ChristianLibertyParty.com----

Q:  Please give us a brief introduction of your latest book Christianity
and War and Other Essays Against the Warfare State .

Dr. Vance: My book contains seventy-nine essays, organized under the
headings of Christianity and War,
War and Peace, The Military, Christianity and the Military, The Iraq War,
Other Wars, and The U.S. Global Empire. The essays span the four-year
period from late 2003 to late 2007.

Although many of them reference contemporary events, the principles
discussed in all of them are timeless: war, militarism, empire,
interventionism, the warfare state, and the Christian attitude toward
these things. ... These essays have one underlying theme: opposition to
the warfare state that robs us of our liberty, our money, and in some
cases our life.

*There is nothing "Christian" about the state's aggressive militarism,
its senseless wars, its interventions into the affairs of other
countries, and its expanding empire. Although war is a subject that
needlessly divides and sidetracks Christians. It is my contention that
Christian enthusiasm for the state, its wars, and its politicians is an
affront to the Saviour, contrary to Scripture, and a demonstration of
the profound ignorance many Christians have of history and their own Bible.*

Q:  Do you agree that when discussing the issue of war with others we
should frame the debate in terms of God's ideas rather than man's?

Dr. Vance: When discussing the issue of war with religious people the
answer is unequivocally yes. What man thinks about war is completely
irrelevant. However, some Christians are so blinded by the Republican
Party, the conservative movement, government propaganda, and the
military that they reject the clear teaching of Scripture. The case
against war and militarism must often be presented to these Christians
like it would to the irreligious that reject the authority of Scripture.

***
I think that many of you will enjoy hearing or reading Vance.
I certainly enjoyed hearing and reading him.  He is very direct.
I have posted video, audio and text links to Vance at my blog.

Vance discusses Christianity and War...
<http://www.liberty4urbana.com/drupal-6.8/node/42>