[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Should AWARE hold a "Renewing America's Promise" event for peace? [Events around MLK day -- accepting postings through 12/31]

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 17:20:51 CST 2008

I think anything about an appropriate remembrance + how to
appropriately remember the legacy of King would be great.  He's
become tame by today's standards and turned into platitudes.  People
forget that he eventually came out against Vietnam, denoted the US as
the "greatest purveyor of violence" in the world and began a class
campaign to organize poor people of all races.  When he died, he was
organizing sanitation workers for appropriate pay, conditions and
work.  This is something as timely as ever given all that we've got
going on in the current sphere if we put this together well --
bridging his statements/actions about war, class et al. to the
current issues we've got with wars, class et al.

Live hard,
      Neil

Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil
obedience...Our problem is that people are obedient all over the
world in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war,
and cruelty. Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails
are full of petty thieves, and all the while the grand thieves are
running and robbing the country. That's our problem.
[howard zinn, 1922-]