[Peace-discuss] Israeli massacre in Gaza

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 28 18:31:11 CST 2008

	Obama on Gaza: ‘No Comment’
	Posted December 27, 2008
	by Justin Raimondo

“There was no immediate comment on the Israeli air strikes on Gaza from Obama,
who is vacationing with his family in Hawaii, or his staff.”

This is how our incoming President has reacted to the worst attack on the
Palestinian people in 20 years – by not reacting at all.

The Bush White House, of course, has responded as we all know they would:
Israel-has-the-right-to-defend itself, let the killing begin, etc., ad nauseum.

And don’t expect much better from the Obama camp. Remember how he scolded the UN
for daring to even discuss the Gaza situation?:

“We have to understand why Israel is forced to do this… Israel has the right to
respond while seeking to minimize any impact on civilians. The Security Council
should clearly and unequivocally condemn the rocket attacks… If it cannot bring
itself to make these common sense points, I urge you to ensure that it does not
speak at all.”

With his silence – or, at least, his very delayed reaction – it seems clear that
Obama is taking his own advice. Even as Israel takes the possibility of a new
page in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict off the agenda, and sabotages all his
brave talk about a renewed US diplomatic effort, the great “liberal” hope is
apparently tongue-tied. And when he finally speaks, “progressives” should
prepare for the worst: after all, this is someone who endorsed the Israeli
re-invasion of Lebanon.

The Israeli-Palestinian “peace process”? The Israelis, for their part, are
having none of it – and neither is our future President.

http://news.antiwar.com/2008/12/27/obama-on-gaza-no-comment