[Peace-discuss] UFPJ: self delusion does not build movements...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 28 20:18:40 CST 2008

"...curtailing innovation and activism to not irritate Obama, or to not appear
to be opposing him, would be suicide ... I am wondering how anyone remotely
informed can stand up, at this point, and talk as if Obama's being a seriously
positive force for real change ... is a virtually sure thing..."

	UFPJ and Going Forward
	By Michael Albert
	Dec 23, 2008

The United for Peace and Justice Organization/Coalition, born in 2001, held its
fourth national assembly in mid December. I wasn't there so I am commenting,
hesitantly, based only on seeing a few accounts, and examining documents on the
UFPJ website http://www.unitedforpeace.org/index.php

UFPJ is not a membership organization with a shared ideology and singular
program. It is not an explicit conduit for and creator of revolutionary
inclinations and insights. To judge it by standards that would apply to such an
undertaking would be silly. Those of us who would like to see such an inspiring
and growing organization have a responsibility to make it happen, not to carp at
another undertaking for not being what it has no intention of being.

UFPJ is a massive coalition including over 1400 member groups, born to oppose
the war in Iraq and war more generally, aimed at progressive and radical policy
victories, whose agenda, rarely extending beyond a few months into the future,
must be shared and agreed to by a wide array of participants from many
backgrounds who often hold conflicting analyses and priorities.

The newly-minted mission statement of this massive coalition indicates that it
is unified in its "commitment to overwhelm war with peace and oppression with
justice" and to serve as "a national, movement-building coalition." The
statement singles out for opposition "U.S. policy in Iraq," "U.S. military
presence to every corner of the earth," and "neo-liberal free trade policies
that concentrate power and wealth in the hands of a few." It advocates that
"sovereign nations, including indigenous people, have the right to determine
their own future, free from the threat of preemptive attacks and regime change,
military occupation, and outside control of their economic and natural
resources." It reiterates that "without peace there will be no justice, and the
denial of justice undermines peace." It challenges "the idea of good wars and so
called humanitarian interventions."

UFPJ presents its current priorities in its newly posted, newly agreed, national
assembly documents. It seeks "cuts in military spending, comprehensive care of
our veterans, and commitments to health care and education for all... while
rebuilding the Gulf Coast and the entire national infrastructure." It is
"committed to defending and extending democratic freedoms to everyone" including
"vigorously combating all discrimination based on race, nationality, religion,
gender, immigration statues, sexual orientation, age or physical ability."

UFPJ advocates expanding the "fight against global warming" including "breaking
dependence on fossil fuels, shelving plans for offshore oil drilling and new
nuclear power plants and instead investing in the development of safe, renewable
sources of energy and a green job economy."

UFPJ seeks "the worldwide elimination of all weapons of mass destruction,
including the U.S. massive stockpile of nuclear weapons" and is "committed to
ending the illegal and immoral `pre-emptive' wars and on-going occupations of
Iraq and Afghanistan," also opposing "war or other aggressive acts ... against
the people of Pakistan, Iran, Syria, Cuba, Venezuela, North Korea, Colombia and
other nations."

UFPJ wants to end torture, enforce international laws, defend "human and labor
rights," "protect dissent," and "end U.S. political, economic, and military aid
fueling Israel's rise as an unchallengeable regional military power." It opposes
"Israel's illegal occupation of the Palestinian West Bank, Gaza, and East
Jerusalem and its denial of equal rights to Palestinians."

Indeed, UFPJ opposes "increasing U.S. military involvement anywhere in the
world, reflected in the expansion of a massive network of military bases
stretching to every corner of the planet and the precipitous increase in U.S.
weapons sales (large and small)" including wanting to call government officials
to account for their crimes.

The newly minted mission statement also clarifies some of UFPJ's internal
priorities.

Thus, UFPJ "coordinates and supports the work of existing peace and justice
groups and builds linkages, solidarity and unity where none or little exists."
It links "foreign policy concerns to realities here at home, and U.S. militarism
to the corporate economic interests it serves."

Further, "UFPJ struggles against racism, white supremacy and all forms of
oppression" and is "pro-active in addressing
power dynamics within our movement, especially regarding issues of race, class,
gender, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity, nationality,
disability, cultural heritage, or ethnicity."

Finally, UFPJ seeks "international alliances," favors "nonviolent means," and
"strives to embody in our day-to-day work the values
we espouse and the world we seek to build: a world rooted in respect and dignity
for all life, where cooperation, generosity, honesty, true democracy and
sustainable practices are the foundations of our culture."

That's the up side of UFPJ. It speaks for itself. The positive bottom line, if
we look at UFPJ's self description as of 2009, is that UFPJ is a massive
compendium of progressive organizations, projects, and movements, about seven
years young, with wonderful aspirations and energy.

What makes me worry about UFPJ, however, are two broad possibilities.

In general, if a political organization is not growing - then most typically it
is declining. Plateaus don't last long and don't win much. If from year to year,
UFPJ is not becoming ever more insightfu, coherent, ambitious, and exciting, it
is likely becoming more confuse, disparate, tentative, and even passive. My
first worry, then, is that as years go by there is not enough progress in UFPJ
principles and analyses, and not enough growth in its coherence and breadth to
sustain aggressive allegiance. Typically, insufficient innovation generates
insufficient inspiration generates dissolution of commitment for political
organizations. Is this the case for UFPJ too?

When I look at UFPJ historically, comparing now to earlier, I fear there is not
enough growth and development to keep UFPJ's sinews strengthening. Declining
numbers of events, numbers of participants, and levels of militance, are very
troubling, particularly when one realizes that the country as a whole - in part
due to UFPJ - is far more antiwar and far more receptive to a progressive agenda
than in past years. A set of demands and views, and underlying analyses and aims
that is also not growing too much, is equally worrisome. As to why a fall off in
program or a lack of growth in insight, I worry that perhaps UFPJ has been so
concerned to maintain its existing organizational membership list, however
formal many of those members are, that it hasn't sufficiently challenged its
actual individual members to grow in numbers and especially in commitment and to
do more together, even at risk of losing some organizational support. I worry,
in other words, that UFPJ hasn't provided its members sufficient excitement and
sense of achievement and called upon them for sufficient creativity to engender
growing involvement.

All too often, left groups, and probably all kinds of groups, look at themselves
in the immediate moment, without comparing the present to the past. We look at
the current condition, and say, hey, that's pretty good - not even noticing that
the trajectory isn't so good. If fewer events, smaller events, less audacity of
events, less inspiration in the ranks, marks the UFPJ trend from past years to
this year, even alongside a steadily more receptive broad population, then it
would imply a priority need to fix the internal problem undermining advance, not
to celebrate current virtues.

Maybe UFPJ should seek more of a shared foundation of values and aims among its
members, or perhaps it should promote more interactivity among constituencies
and especially more mutual support for their separate agendas, or perhaps it
should work toward sharing more inspiring and even audacious mid term and longer
term goals. Maybe, after seven years, it should aspire to be more like a
(miniature) good society than a (massive) coalition of barely connected
components, more of a community of mutually respectful citizens with a greatest
common sum agenda rather than a patchwork of constituencies with a least common
denominator approach.

In any event, getting a yearly document that people can agree on is very good
and very important, of course. But getting such a document, by whatever means,
to continually reflect and communicate a growing level of coherence, commitment,
insight, vision, and understanding, would be better still. And getting members
to take such steadily evolving "paper" comitments seriously and to act on them
in growing numbers, with growing passion, and in unity with one another, well,
that's the real task, of course. Is that happening, as the years go by? I don't
know, but I admit I don't think so - from out here beyond the inner walls of the
coalition, it doesn't seem like it - and, in any case, whether it is happening
or not is what I would like to know - a report on that is the kind of report I
would like to read - and the kind of report I would hope members would want to
see too, in order to plan how to proceed.

My second UFPJ concern is more specific to our current times and, again, by no
means confined to only them. Of course many progressives hope, even against all
odds, that Obama will seek to win just changes rather than only to resurrect a
rickety empire. There is nothing immoral about what we might call "Obama hope" -
even if that hope turns out, as i expect it will, to have been unwarranted. The
problem arises when "Obama hope" leads to "Obama obedience" and especially to
"Obama recalcitrance."

How is it that we so often lose track, in our desire for good news, of the
obvious? If Obama is a real tribune of the people, or even if he is just a
quarterback for just causes (as some speakers at the UFPJ conference very
peculiarly labelled him), then the implication for UFPJ is no different than if
Obama is Clinton 2, or even Bush 3, which is to say overwhelmingly a conduit for
elite gains. Whatever Obama's personal predisposition may be, change will be
won, if at all, by powerful social movements demanding extensive improvements
and raising costs for elites until they implement those improvements. Even if
(against all evidence and reason) Obama were to turn out to be more radical than
Chavez and equally aggressive about change, or, if you prefer, if he turned out
to be more radical than UFPJ and more aggressive about change, still, popular
militant movements would be essential to any progressive success. Given that
obvious truth, it follows that curtailing innovation and activism to not
irritate Obama, or to not appear to be opposing him, would be suicide. In fact,
ironically, one could even make a good case that those who claim to expect a big
"Obama benefit" for justice ought to be clamoring most loudly for an even more
aggressive, more radically insightful UFPJ than those who think Obama will be a
typical elite-serving president, since if Obama were to turn out profoundly
progressive, UFPJ becoming even more militant and far reaching in its aims would
be both needed and possible.

In other words, unless I am missing something central here, I can see only one
reason why even a belief in very large scale "Obama benefit," should cause
someone to think the appropriate course of action for UFPJ would be to back off
on issues and on militance rather than pursue its own stance right into militant
opposition - and that would be literally currying "Obama favor," literally
worrying more about getting an "Obama smile," or even an "Obama position," than
about seeking change itself.

Whether Obama is same old same old, or is just a little better then what has
preceeded, or is a really big opening for justice - just doesn't matter vis a
vis the need for UFPJ to become stronger, more militant, broader, and deeper. It
ought to be obvious, but I worry that it isn't, in the hurly burly of daily
operations, that the breadth, depth, and militance of UFPJ is its lifeblood, if
its purpose is to win change.

Finely, regarding my own view, I wrote back in November when Obama won
indicating what it might look like if Obama were really an ally of progressive
change, and so far there is at most a minuscule sign or two pointing that way -
among an avalanche of horrible appointments and utterances pointing the other
way. Couple the current overwhelming evidence of overwhelmingly business as
usual with decades upon decades of historical precedent for overwhelmingly
business as usual, and while I have nothing against someone still hoping for
"Obama benefit" - hell, I do too, why not? - I must admit I am wondering how
anyone remotely informed can stand up, at this point, and talk as if Obama being
a seriously positive force for real change beyond what system maintenance
demands is a virtually sure thing.

In other words, if someone wants to hope that Obama is going to be a quarterback
for progressive change, okay. If someone wants to hope even more, that like
Chavez in Venezuela, Obama will try to act on his desires to help society's
worst off, as a result encountering immense elite resistance, and then, most
crucially, not give in to it, but instead become revolutionary, okay. I hope all
these things too. But to say that any of that is likely, much less to currently
believe it is inevitable based on what we have seen so far, well, that doesn't
bode well for our objectivity, and perhaps even our motives, I fear.

I guess is the point of this last concern of mine is that self delusion does not
build movements.

http://www.zmag.org/blog/view/2288