[Peace-discuss] My letter to Obama re Israel/Gaza on Dec 28, 2008

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Mon Dec 29 02:04:37 CST 2008

Well Mort, I thought you would never ask. J

I pretty much have given up on the federal and state governments as they
currently exist with respect to significant substantive change in foreign,
military, or domestic policies.  I also do not see the possibilities of the
public initiating any change since, despite claims to the contrary, I do not
think that many - let alone most - are ready to  do what it would take to
force change.  The deterioration of the current foreign situation around the
world and domestic economic situation has pushed more and more to the point
where they may be more open to revolution or forcing change; but they have
not reached the tipping point yet.  My plan is to hope that things get worse
so as to radicalize the population who will find themselves facing increased
downward mobility and a decreasing quality of life, less security or
expectations of regularity or avoidance of crises, less privacy and more
demands for conformity, etc.  It is my hope that they will then be ready to
take action (although it is unpredictable if the outcome will be a good
radical progressive one or a bad regressive reversion into fascism, racism,
and paranoia).

Until that happens, I have been turning my thoughts and energies into
investigating the possibilities of creating alternative communities with
alternative institutions, such as micro banks, homesteading and
shopsteading, the use of sweat equity, etc. as mechanisms for empowering
individuals and allowing them to not only have some control over their lives
but produce long term structures and processes which work for them over the
long haul and allow them to retain their dignity in the process.  In the 60s
and 70s Champaign-Urbana had the beginnings of a nascent alternative
economic community with some of the alternative institutions surviving long
after the disappearance of that  alternative community as traditional
capitalist establishments who had their starts as coops; and there have been
a number of successful experiments utilizing micro banks, homesteading and
shopsteading, sweat equity, collective and/or co-operatative networks,
alternative medical and legal services, etc. which can serve as role models
which give some  guides as to what works and what does not, how one goes
about implementing or instituting such things, what obstacles and dangers
one might encounter, etc.

I have not worked things out in any detail; but I am taking your question
seriously and am trying to offer a serious response as far as I have figured
things out for myself.  It is still a plan in progress; and it does not
involve petitioning, letter writing, or picketing.  The only serious and
potentially deadly roadblock to what I am interested in is that alternative
communities in this world cannot be isolated from or independent of the
mainstream economy and community which form its system environment; and that
external environment can prove detrimental to the establishment and survival
of alternative institutions.  However, this is an area that needs to be
explored in more detail to see if there are work-arounds to this situation.