[Peace-discuss] Israeli massacre in Gaza [and J Street PAC's call to end the violence and the blockade]

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sun Dec 28 23:52:39 CST 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 11:30:52PM -0600, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> But you have to tell the truth, even in political statements.

Surely far more truth exists than we can fit in *any* statement.
Just as there's more on and under a landscape than a mapmaker
can fit in any map.

As with maps, (political) statements are made, and the truth that
goes into them is selected, for a purpose.  Neglecting to assign blame
doesn't have to be misrepresentation.

If this were for a brief being drawn up for the International
Criminal Court then assigning blame and considering proportionality
of force would be central.  (As I think Mary Robinson said during the
bombardment of Lebanon, those who ordered it "should look to their
personal exposure.")  But that's not the intent here, and we
shouldn't judge it as if it were.

> I suggest J Street means to play Good Cop to AIPAC's Bad Cop.  --CGE

That makes sense in a way.   Though I don't think J Street's aims
have all that much in common with AIPAC's.   Although both say they
"support" Israel, they have wildly different views of what they'd
approve of Israel doing -- re attacking Iran, or returning
West Bank settlement land, for example.