[Peace-discuss] Jobs With Justice

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 21:00:09 CST 2008

*I've taken a look at the site and the website lists the "American Family
Association" as a charity that performs 'similar types of work'. Out of
curiosity I clicked on the link and this is the description given.*

Founded in 1977 by Don Wildmon, the American Family Association (AFA)
represents and stands for traditional family values, focusing primarily on
the influence of television and other media - including pornography - on our
society. AFA believes that the entertainment industry, through its various
products, has played a major role in the decline of those values on which
our country was founded and which keep a society and its families strong and
healthy. We believe in holding accountable the companies which sponsor
programs attacking traditional family values. We also believe in commending
those companies which act responsibly regarding programs they support. The
American Family Association exists to motivate and equip citizens to change
the culture to reflect Biblical truth.
*Revenue for American Family Association $22,547,087*

Leadership Compensation: Ranges from 88,0000 to over 104,000

*For JWJ this is the description given:*
Jobs with Justice (JwJ) engages workers and allies in campaigns to win
justice in workplaces and in communities where working families live. JwJ
was founded in 1987 with the vision of lifting up workers' rights struggles
as part of a larger campaign for economic and social justice. We believe in
long-term multi-issue coalition building, grassroots base-building and
organizing and strategic militant action as the foundation for building a
grassroots movement, and we believe that by engaging a broad community of
allies, we can win bigger victories. We reach working people through the
organizations that represent them - unions, congregations, community
organizations - and directly as JwJ activists. Nearly 100,000 people have
signed the JwJ pledge to "be there at least five times a year for someone
else's struggle as well as their own.*

Revenue Report for JWJ: $2,096,925
*
Leadership Compensation: $74,252

It seems to be that the two organizations are like apples and oranges yet
this Charity Navigator lists them as 'similar' organizations.  The overall
revenue for both groups is also very different and there may be other
factors at play here.

What is also interesting is that in reporting their own finances the form
they posted is dated back to 2006.

http://www.charitynavigator.org/__asset__/_etc_/CN_990_FYE2007.pdf

Of course my own response to this is biased due to my current involvement
with Central Illinois Jobs with Justice and it's only fair that I
acknowledge my leanings here. While the site does make for some interesting
reading I would think that people need to look at more than one resource in
order to evaluate the responsibility of an organization. Since JWJ involves
working with different organizations and networks (each of whom have their
own financial resources) I wouldn't be surprised if the methodology used by
charity navigator turns out to be a poor fit in this situation.

Just my not so humble and biased opinion....Marti :)