[Peace-discuss] Jobs With Justice

Ricky Baldwin baldwinricky at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 30 21:28:58 CST 2008

Don Wildmon is a cousin of mine and a known nut job.  Presumably his group and JWJ are "similar" in that they are both advocacy-type organizations, not service providers.  I can't imagine how else they'd be "similar".  He certainly opposes much of what we stand for.

Without knowing much about the methodology behind these evaluations like "drowning in admin costs" or whatever, it's hard to comment on it except to point out that they appear to be talking about the national organization, which is misleading in the case of a loose coalition like Jobs With Justice.

Our local coalition, for example, pays exactly nothing to the national organization for the use of its name, bundles of info on various campaigns, big stacks of well-made signs whenever we ask for them, printed postcards, etc.  All the money we collect locally stays here.  All of it.  All approx. $500 we have in the bank at the moment is ours to shower our executive with luxuries, should we ever decide to select one.  Most often we spend it on, e.g. renting the civic center for that People's Thanksgiving event, donating to locked out workers in Effingham this Xmas, ... "administrative costs" like that.

The vast majority of our activities, and those of other JWJ chapters around the US, is the same kind of volunteer efforts that keep AWARE, CU Citizens for Peace & Justice, CCHCC, the Greens and others going.  Most of what our chapter and others use (supplies, space, etc) is donated by unions and community groups who belong to JWJ.  All that goes uncounted in this type of reckoning, I'll wager, and therefore the only money that is needed - at the national level, because local chapters give no accounting to anyone by which they could judge - is probably what one might refer to as "administrative".

JWJ is about organizing people and groups to work for economic justice.  That work is different from other "charity" work: we do not give out food or medical care or housing to people in need, which presumably weighs on the other side of the balance for other types of charities.  Groups that organize and promote struggle for justice will never measure up against groups that give away stuff to needy people in such an accounting, I'd guess.  That is truly apples and oranges.

I'll pass along anything else I find out.
Ricky

"Speak your mind even if your voice shakes." - Maggie Kuhn