[Peace-discuss] Israeli massacre in Gaza [and J Street PAC's call to end the violence and the blockade]

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 30 23:15:43 CST 2008

Perhaps it betrays my essentially reformist rather than revolutionary
disposition to think that there is something wrong with what Eliot has Abp.
Becket say in "Murder in the Cathedral"--

     The last temptation is the greatest treason:
     To do the right deed for the wrong reason.

However much that may be a guide for oneself, Christians at least (and Eliot
thought of himself as one) are cautioned against judging the motives of others.
We're reduced to trying to descry the good action and leaving alone the heart's
reasons that the reason does not know (in others at least).

But there can be as we might say operational differences in opposing the war (a)
because it's wrong, or (b) because it's done wrong. They're obvious as soon as
an appropriate remedy is proposed: the alternative is, "Stop doing it," or "Do
it better."

It may be that this distinction -- indeed antithesis -- has been exploited to
neutralize the anti-war movement in the five years since the largest anti-war
demonstrations in human history.  In any case, that movement does seem to have
been successfully neutralized, and it wasn't an accident.

I'm frightened, for example, by the disappearance of the word "co-option." A
coinage of the 1960s (the word meant something else before that), the word in
the midst of the Vietnam war came to mean to absorb a political group or idea
into a larger (and probably inimical) one.  Here are some examples:

    1969 Atlantic Monthly: "A Republican Party based in the ‘Heartland’
(Midwest), West, and South can and should co-opt the Wallace vote."
    1970 New Yorker: "All too often, mere approval of their social and political
concern has, in the jargon, co-opted their causes and deadened them."
    1982 N.Y. Times: "The argument has been, co-opt the left before it's too late."

That seems to me to be what has happened to the contemporary anti-war movement
-- and we've even lost the language to describe what has happened.

Of course that's not an accident.  The forces of ideological control in this
society are vigorous and powerful.  They were profoundly frightened by "the
sixties," and they fought back with a generation-long campaign.  The general
term for the counter-attack, from Thatcher and Reagan to Clinton and Blair, was
neoliberalism, but not just as an economic doctrine.  Bush and Obama are both
heirs of it.

As far as the anti-war movement is concerned, the principal agent of co-option
in the US has been the Democratic party, culminating in the recent electoral
campaign. Given control of Congress to end the war in 2006, the Democrats
instead ended the sentiment that had given them control by adopting it in word
and undermining it in deed.

No one understood that task better than BHO (which is why he was the nominee).
Here's what he wrote in "The Audacity of Hope" about the Vietnam war:

"The disastrous consequences of that conflict – for our credibility and prestige
abroad, for our armed forces (which would take a generation to recover), and
most of all for those who fought – have been amply documented.  But perhaps the
biggest casualty of that war was the bond of trust between the American people
and their government [SIC: NOT MILLIONS OF ASIANS] – and between American
themselves. As a consequence of a more aggressive press corps and the images of
body bags flooding into the living rooms, Americans began to realize that the
best and the brightest in Washington didn't always know what they were doing –
and didn't always tell the truth [NOTE THE NATURE OF THE OBJECTION TO THE WAR].
Increasingly, many on the left voiced opposition not only to the Vietnam War but
also to the broader aims of American foreign policy [CAN YOU IMAGINE THAT?!].
In their view, President Johnson, General Westmoreland, the CIA, the '˜military
industrial complex,' and international institutions like the World Bank were all
manifestations of American arrogance, jingoism, racism, capitalism and
imperialism [NOTE: 'THEIR' VIEW, NOT BHO'S]. Those on the right responded in
kind [SIC], laying responsibility for the loss of Vietnam ['LOSS'?] but also for
the decline America's standing in the world squarely on the '˜blame America
first' crowd – the protestors, the hippies, Jane Fonda, the Ivy League
intellectuals and liberal media."

That seems to me a pretty good summary of opposition to the US war in SE Asia
"not because it's wrong but because it's not done right."  And there's no break
in BHO's opinion when it's extended to the war in SW Asia.  The passage is from
a book published just two years ago.  And the anti-war movement disappeared into
his campaign.  --CGE