[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Refund Anticipation Loans

Mark Morenz marketype at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 10:06:11 CST 2008

Marti:

First, thank you for your activism and thanks to the
list-administrator's for this list.

I hadn't heard of the 'refund loan' thing. Thanks for
the tip.

I am not affiliated with any tax preparation firms--
but, in the interests of fairness, it should be
clearly pointed out that tax preparation firms can
also save people money. In my family, my wife and I
have, at different times, owned our own (small)
businesses and cashed out portions of our own
retirement funds. There is a particular tax shop here
in town that has literally saved/made us $2-3K during
the years that those events occured.

Since this whole topic is a bit off-topic for the
list, let me try to bring it back...One thing I've
never tried is the whole
not-paying-the-war-funding-portion-of-phone-bill
thing. I've considered it, but I don't know enough
about it. Also, is there a similar tactic regarding
taxes (that won't end a person up in prison)? Thanks!

Be well!

:-{)]
Mark M.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Taxes/Preparationtips/P41332.asp

> For me the good news is I did end up realizing just
> how much my choices to
> get a refund loan was costing me. However, I wonder
> how many of the patron
> in the Jackson Hewitt office are really going to get
> their full refunds.
>
> It's my understanding that legal aid does offer tax
> assistance to low income
> individuals. Now I wonder if there are any other
> resources. Personally I
> don't have an issue with places like Jackson Hewitt
> preparing tax returns
> for a set fee...it's the whole concept of the "rapid
> refund" that I don't
> like.
>
> Marti

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect).
--Mark Twain

There is no such thing as security for any nation-- or any individual-- in a world ruled by the principles of gangsterism.
--Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Meetings are by definition a concession to deficient organization [sic] For one either meets or one works.
--Peter Drucker

Nothing you do for children is ever wasted.
--Garrison Keillor

News is what powerful people keep hidden-- everything else is just publicity.
--Bill Moyers

This isn't all true.
--Steven Wright