[Peace-discuss] The Kennedys' fake liberalism, then and now

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 2 22:42:37 CST 2008

[I met Carl Oglesby a couple of times and liked him.  He used to refer to his
own "bad politics," by which he meant that he was tempted to think that there
vestiges of true liberalism in JFK. He was I think the more deceived, but he
wasn't stupid.  I have what I think must be one of the few extant copies of his
book on US politics in the '60s, "The Yankee and Cowboy War." --CGE]

	February 2 / 3, 2008
	Carl Oglesby's War
	Ravens in the Storm
	By RON JACOBS

Carl Oglesby was once the president of the original Students for a Democratic
Society (SDS). Before that he was working for a defense contractor. His last
project with the company was to develop a method of delivering Agent Orange so
that it would cover the Vietnamese jungle (and the humans therein) with the
chemical as thoroughly and cheaply as possible. He was typical of his
generation. He was a political liberal, was married, and believed in his work.
Then a moment of cognitive dissonance occurred when John F. Kennedy was murdered
and his company refused to lower the flag to half-mast until ordered to do so by
the corporate headquarters. Something clicked in Oglesby's brain and he suddenly
realized that there were fellow citizens that did not like even the mild
liberalism of JFK. These citizens, he realized, enjoyed profiting from war and
saw their mission to save the world from anyone and anything that opposed US
capitalism. A year later, Oglesby was a member of SDS. Not long afterwards, he
had quit his job and began traveling around the country speaking and recruiting
for the organization.

For the next five or so years, Carl Oglesby devoted a good portion of his life
to SDS and opposing the war in Vietnam. His opposition was based on his belief
that the war was contrary to the ideals of the country he lived in. This belief
was common among many of the war's opponents who believed it to be a mistake.
Oglesby took it a step further, however, and realized that the war was more than
a mistake. He concluded that it was systemic. From there he began to organize.
His work took him to southern Vietnam on a factfinding tour, Paris for a War
Crimes Tribunal, and even to Cuba. In between, he lived in several cities in the
United States and met hundreds of people from many walks of life.

Recently, his memoirs of the period, titled Ravens In the Storm, were published
by Scribners. The book is an interesting read that chronicles Oglesby's
political life during the period and his opinions of the organization and the
greater movement that he worked in. For those who were involved with SDS and
other New Left organizations during the 1960s and early 1970s, there will be
moments when you find yourself disagreeing with Oglesby's impressions. There
will also be times when you find yourself in total agreement. No matter what,
the book is an honest and insightful chronicle of the time and its politics.
Oglesby was always a presence. His brand of politics was what former Vice
President Spiro Agnew might have characterized as radical-liberal. He was never
a Marxist but Marxism informed his analysis.

The book opens with an innocence that is slowly lost as the war grinds on and
the repression against the movement against it intensifies. By the end of 1968,
Oglesby finds himself isolated from the very organization he helped build. His
continued belief that there was still room for dialog with members of the war
establishment was met with scorn and disdain by most of the rest of the SDS
leadership and he was drummed out of the organization. This belief does seem
almost naïve by that time, given the murders of Martin Luther King, Jr. and
Bobby Kennedy earlier that year. To Oglesby, however, the alternative of a
Marxist-Leninist revolution being offered by his comrades-among them many future
Weathermen-was unreal and based on frustration and anger, not on a clear
assessment of the political reality. To his credit, he acknowledges that he
misread the true intentions of the counterintelligence programs (Cointelpro)
being used against SDS. He thought they were merely collecting data, not trying
to destroy the group. The future Weathermembers and many others knew better,
even though their response was apparently just as wrong as Oglesby's diagnosis.

Like many former SDS members, including some former leaders of the Weather
Underground, Oglesby blames Weather as much as he blames Cointelpro for the
demise of SDS. Although I personally believe this explanation ignores the role
of history and replaces that role with personalities, I must admit that Oglesby
does the best to make a case for his position. One can still hear the bitterness
he felt at his dismissal by the leadership cadre and his disdain for their
politics and arrogance. To his credit, there is little vindictiveness on these
pages, just what remains of the bitterness. The story of the demise of SDS will
always be one that provokes spirited discussion. However, there is no longer any
need to take a side in the argument. Instead, we should learn from that episode
and the rest of SDS's history. Ravens In the Storm is a valuable and interesting
addition to that history from an important member.

Ravens In the Storm is a book about the battles against the evils of war, racism
and US imperialism. It is also about the internal battles of an organization
that formed to fight those evils. Heartfelt and impassioned, the story Oglesby
tells on these pages is instructive and hopeful. It is also occasionally tragic.
The quixotic struggle of a generation of US residents to end a terrible, immoral
war has always been a good tale that should inspire. Mr. Oglesby's version does
not fail. In fact, it excels. His ultimately even-handed description of the rise
and fall of SDS has it all-innocence, anger, paranoia, police repression,
friendships made and friendships unmade. Those who were there can read it,
remember and learn. Those who weren't can read it and learn.

[Ron Jacobs is author of The Way the Wind Blew: a history of the Weather
Underground, which is just republished by Verso. Jacobs' essay on Big Bill
Broonzy is featured in CounterPunch's collection on music, art and sex, Serpents
in the Garden. His first novel, Short Order Frame Up, is published by Mainstay
Press. He can be reached at: rjacobs3625 at charter.net]

http://www.counterpunch.org/jacobs02022008.html