[Peace-discuss] RE: State's Attorney Rietz Participates In Cover-up Of Police Brutality

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 05:34:12 CST 2008

Laurie speaks the truth here.  Regardless of how it's portrayed in public
speeches and so on, police officers and prosecutors, and even judges,
perceive that they're all on the same "team" with essentially the same
goal, that of keeping society safe from "criminals".  They perceive
criminal defense attorneys as the "enemy", to the point where if a criminal
defense attorney really takes his/her job seriously and identifies too
closely with the defendants, s/he is perceived as also being a "criminal",
or only a small step above the "criminals" whom s/he represents.  It's
pretty systemic; it derives from the way in which the system is set
up.  The "state", which is the cops and prosecutors, has basically all of
the collective resources of the taxpayers at its disposal.  And it wasn't
until the late 1960s that criminal defendants even had the right to a
public defender.  Now they have the right to one, but nothing in the law
says that the resources have to be even remotely equal.  And they're not.

John Wason