[Peace-discuss] Repeating a lie doesn't make it true

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 4 17:55:54 CST 2008

I think it's important to see just what Obama was "waffling" about.  What does
his opposition to the war consist of, when it occasionally appears?

 From the Vietnam War on, we've talked about two very different ways of opposing
US imperialist wars.  On the one hand were those who saw the invasion of South
Vietnam as an international crime -- an illegal and immoral war that was
obviously in violation of the Nuremberg Principles.  On the other hand were
those (they eventually included even SecDef Robert McNamara) who had no moral
objection to the war but thought it was a *mistake* because it would not be
practically possible for the US to achieve its maximum war aim, viz. a settled
US client state in S. Vietnam.

Obama's opposition to the Iraq war, when it appears, is of the second sort.  The
Bush administration's bungling occupation gave him the opportunity to castigate
the Republicans not for a crime (Obama doesn't think it was a crime) but for a
blunder in pursuit of a general policy -- US hegemony in the ME -- which he
supports.  --CGE