[Peace-discuss] Repeating a lie doesn't make it true

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 5 03:49:20 CST 2008

"Morton K. Brussel" <brussel4 at insightbb.com> wrote:    >So, where's his backbone?
  Politicians who expect to get elected to higher office must (unfortunately) have VERY, uh, flexible backbones.

  >Is it possible he took an anti-war stance in 2004 simply because he deemed it >was a profitable electoral position?
  No, I think he was sincere and taking a risk (which gives me hope that he's not a hawk deep down, ergo better than Hillary, who seems to be, esp w/ Madeleine Albrecht standing at her side). In 2003-04 the MSM was beating the war drums pretty loudly, and tho' there were the largest anti-war protests ever, the majority of voters were convinced that Sadaam had attacked us on 9/11 and we had to show him who was boss... so a strong anti-war position was courageous on Obama's part.

  >In other words, we don't know what we're getting, do we, except that he may be >less war-prone than Hillary.
  Not any more... and let's hope so.

  >Looking at his advisors, one cannot be very confident that he would assume an >anti-imperialist, anti-militarist politics.
  I have concerns about a number of his issues actually. Plus his advisers are either encouraging a shift to the right to first get elected and then to make nice so that some decent legislation is passed -- Congress is full of these heartless shits... or he's really less progressive than he claims, and we're no better off than w/ Hillary. Meanwhile, I'm so sick of hearing about "leadership" and "bipartanship" I could scream (like the lack of those are the REAL and only problems to be fixed).

  >However, if one had to vote for one or the other, I suppose one would go for >Obama rather than Hillary. We are give little choice and no voice, it seems.
  I think Obama is a better bet than Hillary, I think Hillary is a better bet than McCain (think: Supreme court, if nothing else)... I wouldn't say we have no choice and no voice, we just don't and always won't have our first choice... but I do think we have the ability to put a Democrat back into office, which by far beats the alternative, especially for people we all claim to care about, tho' not all the people we claim to care about.
   --Jenifer

  --mkb

    On Feb 4, 2008, at 3:39 PM, Jenifer Cartwright wrote:

    Yo, I agree Obama was waffling big time on his stance by 2005, as you all have said over and over and over again. But his claim that he was "against the war from the first" is true... He WAS against the war "from the first," certainly so in 2004 running for US Senate. "From the first" implies that he never waivered or changed or softened his stance, which we all know he did in the face of all that hawkish DC rhetoric... But it's NOT a lie to say he was smart enuff to know it was a mistake at the time, and was on record as saying so. Credit where credit is due.
   --Jenifer

"C. G. Estabrook" <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:
  The problem is, he wasn't against the war from the first. And when he
was called on it, as he was in Champaign in 2005, he straddled the issue
some more.

He was perfectly aware of what he was doing. He responded to his
critics by sheltering behind with Durbin (!) and insisting that their
joint position in favor of the continuation of the war was not pro-war.

Here's what Obama wrote in September of 2005:

"My colleague from Illinois, Dick Durbin, spoke out forcefully - and
voted against - the Iraqi invasion. He isn't somehow transformed into a
'war supporter' - as I've heard some anti-war activists suggest - just
because he hasn't called for an immediate withdrawal of American troops.
He may be simply trying to figure out, as I am, how to ensure that U.S.
troop withdrawals occur in such a way that we avoid all-out Iraqi civil
war, chaos in the Middle East, and much more costly and deadly
interventions down the road."

Uh-huh. And as far as his being "the best chance we've got" in our
undemocratic presidential election, I've heard that phrase used to
defend war criminals running for office from the Kennedy brothers on.

The best chance we've got is to bring as much popular pressure as
possible on whoever is in office. Anti-war movements helped end the
Vietnam War and the Reagan wars in LA, not by changing office-holders
(they didn't), but by agitating against those who were there.

It's not easy. Both parties continue to support murder and exploitation
in the Middle East ("fighting terrorism") in spite of the fact that a
majority of Americans have opposed the war for some time now. But we're
not going to get anywhere supporting trimmers like Obama and Clinton. --CGE