[Peace-discuss] AWARE in the News-Gazette Today!

Jan & Durl Kruse jandurl at insightbb.com
Fri Feb 8 18:58:51 CST 2008

AWARE happy with advisory results
By Mike Monson

Friday February 8, 2008

URBANA – A member of a local activist group said the group will
probably seek to place more advisory referendums on the Nov. 4 ballot
after voters in Cunningham and City of Champaign townships gave
overwhelming approval to six questions on last Tuesday's ballot.

"I think we probably will" propose new ballot questions, said Durl
Kruse of Urbana, a member of AWARE, which stands for "anti-war
anti-racism effort." "We're looking at what issues, both locally and
nationally, might warrant a referendum."

Residents can get advisory questions on the ballot by attending the
annual town meetings, proposing language and then voting the questions
onto the ballot. The town meetings will be held on April 1.

Last spring, AWARE and its supporters were able to get three advisory
referendums each on Tuesday's primary ballot in Cunningham and City of
Champaign townships.

In both townships on Tuesday, a proposition calling on Congress to
repeal or amend the Military Commissions Act passed handily.

The act authorized the president to establish military commissions to
try unlawful enemy combatants. The commissions are authorized to
sentence defendants to death and defendants are prevented from invoking
the Geneva Conventions as a source of rights during commission
proceedings.

In City of Champaign Township, nearly 68 percent of the voters
supported repealing or amending the Military Commissions Act. In
Cunningham Township, the same question was backed by 79.3 percent.

A second question in both townships asked whether to limit funding for
the war in Iraq to what is needed to bring the troops home. It passed
with 60.5 percent in City of Champaign Township and with 69.2 percent
in Cunningham Township.

Cunningham Township voters also supported, by an 4-1 margin, having
voters call on members of Congress to pursue all available means to
prevent war with Iran.
  Find this article at:

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/2008/02/08/
awarehappy_with_advisory_results