[Peace-discuss] Howard Zinn speaks

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Fri Feb 15 00:40:11 CST 2008

Jenifer,

To a certain extent you are correct, we do talk and hear about class all the
time; but in the US class is not viewed in terms of caste, which entraps
persons and where passing or mobility is limited, restrictively difficult if
not impossible, and economics of poverty is transparently visible at every
turn like in other countries.  Instead, we tend to view class as merely a
gradation on a continuum which allow for easy passage and mobility from one
level to another, where everyone has the resources and access to paths and
doorways that lead up the ladder to the next class (Heratio Alger ride
again) and where even the lower classes aspire to be treated and seen as
being middle class - not to mention actually becoming part of the class -
and upper class persons pretend to be middle class despite their affluence
and life styles.  We tend to ignore the real impoverished underclasses and
focus on the lower classes and working classes who are doing well when
compared to the lower classes and working classes in third world countries;
but are not doing so well when compared to the upper classes in the US.

In our culture, people identify with classes the same way the identify with
race and ethnicity; but even the latter have some cultural identity and
interests attached to them which form a tradition and ideological base that
distinguishes the different races and ethnic groups.  Our socio-economic
classes are classes without any ideological commitments or identity except
to a set of establishment values defined around corporate capitalism,
American Jingoism and arrogance, and fundamentalist religiosity with respect
to public appearances but not practices, and individualistic self-interest
and promotion.