[Peace-discuss] Democracy Now! & the Israel Lobby

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 03:02:02 CST 2008

It seemed to me appropriate under the circumstances for Rothschild to write the letter (privately, but knowing it probably would be published), since he had the responsibility for- and obligation to defend his staff member (well, it's a good  excuse, anyway). He took great care to keep himself beyond reproach by using only Finkelstein's own quotes and quotes of others criticising Finkelstein. Reading between the lines, it's obvious that Rothschild does share many of Finkelstein's concerns but feels (and hates) that he goes to extremes and ends up doing a disservice to causes they both embrace. Face it, Finkelstein's controversial, and his harsh style turns off many of his friends as well as his enemies.
   --Jenifer

"Laurie at advancenet.net" <laurie at advancenet.net> wrote:
                Interesting; but he fails t o say what the nature or reason for the lawsuit by Finkelstein against him were that would elicit the private response that was made.  I walk away from his response to you (e.g., No one here at The Progressive has ever intended any harm to him. I bear him no ill will, and we see eye to eye on a lot of issues, including the cause of justice and peace for Palestinians, which he has courageously championed) with the feeling that I just experienced the equivalent of a Mafia Don kissing his victim just before putting the knife in his back.

  I am curious to know what your feelings are with respect to the response you got.