[Peace-discuss] Fun and Excitement of Civilization Wars

Morton K. Brussel brussel4 at insightbb.com
Sun Feb 17 12:13:09 CST 2008

The psychology of our warriors, desk and otherwise:

Published on Sunday, February 17, 2008 by Salon
The Fun and Excitement of Civilization Wars (Fought from Afar)
by Glenn Greenwald
the handful of Muslim-obsessed faux-warriors is moved any longer by
the Government’s endless exploitation of Terrorism to secure more and
more unchecked power, National Review’s Mark Steyn said:

He may have a point: It’s psychologically exhausting being on
permanent Orange Alert, especially as the reason for it recedes
further and further in the rear-view mirror. A lot of Americans are
“over” 9/11, and, while the event had a lingering emotional power,
the strategic challenge it exposed has not been accepted by much of
the electorate.

The truth is exactly the opposite. There is nothing more
psychologically invigorating than the belief that you are staring
down the Greatest and Most Evil Enemy Ever in History, courageously
waging glorious war for all that is Good and Just in the world.
Nothing produces more pulsating feelings of excitement and nobility
like convincing yourself that you are a Warrior defending Western
Civilization from the greatest threat it has ever faced, following in
— even surpassing — the mighty footsteps of the Greatest Generation
and the Warrior-Crusaders who came before them. For those who crave
and glorify (though in their lives completely lack) acts of warrior
courage, play-acting the role of the intrepid Warrior is uniquely
satisfying. That’s why nothing can fill the bottomless spare time of
bored, aimless adolescents like sitting in front of a computer
commanding vast armies and destructive military weapons, deployed
against cunning, scary and evil enemies. That’s why the Mark Steyns
of every generation create such Enemies, becasue they are purposeless
and aimless without them.

Steyn deeply flatters himself into believing that only he and his
tragically small (and shrinking) band of warrior-comrades can bear
the “psychologically exhausting” burden of defending The West and its
freedoms. Sadly, most Americans — he says — are too weak, too
brittle, just not up to the task of bearing the heavy burden of
prosecuting the war against the omnipotent jihadi super-villains.

But not Steyn and friends. They are society’s freedom fighters, the
Progeny of Churchill, Patten and Napoleon, bravely and tenaciously
manning the barricades of Civilization itself. They’ll find a
powerful and protective Warrior who leads them; advocate all sorts of
fascinating technologies and complex spying schemes to wage the War;
spend hour upon hour chatting about battles and tactics and
strategies; and endlessly depict themselves as besieged though
tenacious. Far from being “psychologically exhausting,” convincing
yourself that you are all that — as Steyn and comrades explicitly do
— is to bathe oneself in self-affirming and self-glorifying virtue.
Nothing could ever compete with such glory when it comes to
psychological fulfillment.

Adam Smith, all the way back in 1776, in An Inquiry into the Nature
And Causes of the Wealth of Nations, described the fun, entertainment
and deep psychological fulfillment which Wars against Supremely Evil
Enemies provide to many who don’t have to fight them:

In great empires the people who live in the capital, and in the
provinces remote from the scene of action, feel, many of them, scarce
any inconveniency from the war; but enjoy, at their ease, the
amusement of reading in the newspapers the exploits of their own
fleets and armies . . . . They are commonly dissatisfied with the
return of peace, which puts an end to their amusement, and to a
thousand visionary hopes of conquest and national glory from a longer
continuance of the war.

One finds vivid illustrations of the twisted syndrome Smith
identified in most of Steyn’s war cheerleading comrades, especially
its leaders. From Jeffrey Goldberg’s New Yorker profile of Joe
Lieberman:

Lieberman likes expressions of American power. A few years ago, I was
in a movie theatre in Washington when I noticed Lieberman and his
wife, Hadassah, a few seats down. The film was “Behind Enemy Lines,”
in which Owen Wilson plays a U.S. pilot shot down in Bosnia. Whenever
the American military scored an onscreen hit, Lieberman pumped his
fist and said, “Yeah!” and “All right!”

Far from being “psychologically exhausting,” the Wars against the
Most-Evil-Enemies-Ever that take place inside the head of the Mark
Steyns and Joe Liebermans are exhilarating and fun, and they provide
the weak, purposeless and powerless with their only opportunity to
feel strong, purposeful and powerful. Here, for instance, was the
response from Steyn’s warrior-comrade, Andy McCarthy to my post on
Friday and his response to what Steyn wrote:

Glenn Greenwald? Yawn. Wake me up when he’s interviewed some of the
people trying to kill us and spent a few weeks with people maimed in
terrorist attacks (I’d have spoken with the dead, but they were
unavailable).

Look at how personally vital — how indispensable — the War of
Civilizations is to McCarthy, to his identity and sense of purpose.
He doesn’t even need to go anywhere near combat, or fight in the Wars
he cheers on. He still gets to be on the front line — a gruff, hard-
nosed, no-nonsense veteran-warrior who has been in the trenches, who
has stared down the ugly realities of the Civilization Wars and —
despite it all — still soldiers on. Think of the emptiness and loss
of purpose if the Threat from the Enemy were exaggerated and all of
that faded away. This is why our nation’s faux-warriors can never be
reasoned with. It’s why their greatest fear is having the Threats
from Our Enemies be put into rational perspective, alongside all the
other garden-variety manageable threats we face. To argue that they
are exaggerating and melodramatizing the Enemy and the threat is to
take away from them that which is most personally important to them.

Just consider the grandiose, baroque rhetoric they employ. What they
are defending — today’s U.S. — is not merely good. It’s not even
great. It’s not even the greatest thing there is on the Earth right
now. No — it’s much more grand than that: it’s the Greatest Country
ever to exist on the Earth in all of human history. That’s what
they’re defending; that’s the magnitude of the burden they bear, the
incomparable importance of the crusade they lead.

Conversely, the Enemy they are facing down (from a safe distance) is
not merely threatening or evil or scary or formidable. No, it’s much,
much more than that. This is the greatest Enemy that exists on the
planet, the most cunning and nefarious and evil force the world has
ever seen — not just now, but for all of human history. There is
nothing remotely like the depravity and power of this particular
Enemy — and there never has been. Ever. Everything these faux-
warriors face and defend is superlative; there has never, ever been a
war like the one they are waging. None of the old rules apply. This
is all unique, unknown, the first and most important of its kind.

What’s most confounding about all of this is that they completely
evade the most basic instruments of self-evaluation. All they have to
do is look back and realize that every generation, in every country,
is plagued by factions suffering from the same self-glorifying
delusions — that they alone are the Brave Warriors willing to engage
in the Most Important Battle for Civilization Ever. None of it’s new.
Back in 1964, Richard Hofstadter described exactly this psychological
affliction in his famous Harper’s essay, The Paranoid Style in
American Politics:

The paranoid spokesman sees the fate of conspiracy in apocalyptic
terms — he traffics in the birth and death of whole worlds, whole
political orders, whole systems of human values. He is always manning
the barricades of civilization. He constantly lives at a turning point.

Shouldn’t basic self-awareness compel the faux-warriors who read that
to at least entertain the thought: “Maybe my belief that I’m waging
an apocalyptic War of Civilization against The Uniquely Evil Enemy is
grounded in a psychological need, one that is extremely common if I
look to the past, rather than an objective assessment or any sort of
political belief or ideological conviction. Maybe I’m exaggerating
the threat posed in order to inflate my own importance and give
myself a sense of purpose and power as I convince myself that I’m
waging all-important (though risk-free) war.” Over the past couple
decades, prior to the Bush Era, the people who needed the sort of
psychological fulfillment that comes from prancing around as
Hofstadterian faux-warriors waging Civilization Wars obtained their
fulfillment from playing board and video games or, at worst, dressing
up on the weekend in camouflage costumes and — rather than playing
golf or going fishing — marched around in militia formations, primed
to defend the nation from Janet Reno and her squadrons of hovering
U.N. black helicopters. It was equally pathetic, but at least the
damage was minimal.

But the 9/11 attacks and ensuing events catapulted their paranoia and
powerlessness syndromes from clownish sideshow to dominant political
faction. And their fevered, self-serving fantasies have empowered the
Federal Government beyond anyone’s wildest dreams, created a
completely out-of-control domestic surveillance state, subordinated
even the rule of law to the lawless dictates of Security State
officials, and dismantled long-standing constitutional protections
and political values so basic that they were previously beyond debate.

All of that is bad enough. But listening to the authors of these
events martyr themselves by claiming that their crusades are
“psychologically exhausting” is really too much to bear. The reason
they pursue those crusades endlessly, and will continue to pursue
them until stopped, is precisely because the only thing they find
“psychologically exhausting” is the prospect of having to live
without their Supreme War of Civilization, whereby they defend the
greatest things ever, under siege from the most Evil villains ever,
with them — and only them — courageous and tough enough to “do what
needs to be done” to triumph.

Glenn Greenwald was previously a constitutional law and civil rights
litigator in New York. He is the author of the New York Times
Bestselling book “How Would a Patriot Act?,” a critique of the Bush
administration’s use of executive power, released in May 2006. His
second book, “A Tragic Legacy“, examines the Bush legacy.